1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Example 4,587 on what's wrong with the newspaper biz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Aug 5, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Longtime state government reporter for the Gannett papers in my state just announced his retirement. Gannett won't replace him -- they're going to let one reporter cover the Legislature for all of their papers across the state, even though they've got several 50,000-100,000 circulation papers in small metro areas. Yeah, because people on the other end of the state don't give a fuck what happens in the capitol or what their legislators are doing. You've got to preserve that 28% profit margin!
    I swear, the newspaper biz...it's in bad shape, but a lot of the wounds are self-inflicted.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's like handing a heart patient a pack of cigarettes. An alcoholic a bottle of whiskey. A suicidal person getting a gun.

Some companies never learn, do they?

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The bottom line is the bottom line. That's what they've learned.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I hate to sound like an alarmist, but when I look at the parallel tracks of journalism and politics in the U.S., I have to say this country is fucked.

Let's meet back here in 20 years and see if I'm right.

5. statrat

statrat Member

It's true, and its incredibly sad. I would love to have a future in this business, but when I look around at the upper management at so many large papers having no ability to think outside the box whatsoever, I can't really envision myself staying too much longer.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess Gannett is using the same consultants as the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

7. duckncover

duckncover Member

The real problem is newspaper bosses even believe there's a box anymore. Old models don't work.

That said, it's ludacris to believe you're going to be able to cut content and still compell people to subscribe.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Ludicrous indeed. (I agree with your points ;))

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

And nine years ago, American Journalism Review was reporting drastic reductions in the coverage of state government:

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=3279

So what we're seeing now is only continued reduction of already vastly reduced coverage.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A former co-worker of mine who is now doing PR and speechwriting for the ACLU put it best:

"I didn't leave the news business. The news business left me."

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

With appreciation to Billy Wilder. . .
    Reader: "You're Joe Williams. You used to be in newspapers. You used to be big."
    Joe: "I am big. It's the newspapers that got small."

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

And that bottom line will shrink for Gannett as readers in parts of that state that Ganett doesn't give a damn about them, or puts out the manpower to cover the issues that affect them.

Draft saved Draft deleted