1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exaggerating fouls in basketball (flopping)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 26, 2009.

?

More and more basketball players are exaggerating a reaction to contact to draw a foul. Should this

1. I'm fine with the way the game is currently officiated.

20.0%
  2. I don't like it, but it would be impossible to correct.

12.0%
  3. Do not call anything if you question the reaction. The flopping player has usually placed themself a

28.0%
  4. Call a technical on the exaggerating player.

16.0%
  5. Call a foul on the exaggerating player.

20.0%
  6. Assess fines after the game via videotape.

4.0%
  1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You don't say!?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Eurofairy influence of soccer (sandbag, swoon, flop, and argue every call) is a HUGE influence.

What to do about it: Tee 'em up. By definition, it's an attempt to deceive the official into making improper calls.

3. Sorry for not noticing your post, tough guy. Feel good now?

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just teasing ya, Waylon.

5. It's all good :)

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is one where "blame soccer" might actually apply. From what I've seen, the most egregious floppers tend to be Euros and the Argentinian players copying long-established soccer flopping techniques.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Again, call a technical foul, whether it seems harsh or not.

If you get a reputation for being a hard ass, players and coaches will know better than to flop at your games.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The culture of sports is entirely different in Europe than the U.S.

The culture of U.S. sports has always been authoritarian: the game officials make the call, and that's it. While some sports (i.e. baseball) do allow some arguing with the umpires, virtually all have severe penalties (i.e. quick ejections) for players/coaches who significantly delay the game with arguments. Game calls actually being reversed as the result of arguing is very rare (let's stay out of the instant-replay argument for the moment). Coaches pulling teams off the field in protest is unheard-of: virtually all leagues have catastrophic penalties for doing it, so nobody ever does (I think Earl Weaver pulled the Orioles off the field in 1971, and he was told to never, ever, do it again). The consensus of virtually every U.S. sports organization is that spectators want to see players play the game, not coaches bitching to the refs about calls.

In European sports, the culture is more anarchic: arguing and disputing calls is much more widespread, and often pays off (calls are frequently reversed). Showboating, play-acting and flopping to get calls is accepted procedure. Coaches threaten to, and do, pull teams off the field (not often, but not once-every-40-years as in U.S. pro sports). The pissing, moaning, flopping and carrying on pays off, so it continues.

U.S. sports needs to put a hammer on it. Shut the fuck up, stand up straight, and play.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn good post, Starman.

My fear is that basketball is starting to step closer and closer to European soccer, and I was wondering if other members of the board were noticing it as well.

The acting is probably the only reason I do not watch more (or any) soccer.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Stop making the calls and let the guys get run over. Eventually, maybe the players will start challenging the shots instead of trying to draw the charge. Its stupid to see Yao try to draw a charge on say Blake. Ask Barkley if he ever tried to draw a charge, I bet you he would say "I was a man I tried to swat that weak stuff out of there. I didn't care where my feet were."

Draft saved Draft deleted