1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exactly How Fun Is It To Be a Sports Journalist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Aug 18, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tons in the medical field.

And WRT to the 9-5 nonsense . . .

It doesn't get any more 9-to-5/no holidays/no weekends than working for a bank . . . an industry which is laying off people not by the thousands, but by the tens of thousands.

Who on earth believes that job security is tied to your work hours?

And WRT "covering children's games" . . . I would say the percentage of editorial newsroom employees who cover children's games is about 2-3 percent. I haven't "covered a game" since 1983, my first year in the biz. But yeah, if you're a sports journalist who wants to write, you'll probably be covering children's games, some of which are played by wealthy adults. Kind of comes with the territory. Some people can't get enough of it. Others get tired of it. Not a one-size-fits-all occupation.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

OK, so except for emergency personnel, who else has a common job that's not 9-5 that pays well and has job security?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Airline pilots. Air traffic controllers. Tech support personnel. The list is really quite extensive. People are doing things 24 hours a day. There exists a need to service these people 24 hours a day.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You think realtors or other sales professionals work 9-5? If they do, they suck at it. Guaranteed.

5. CD Boogie

Now there are some low-stress jobs synonymous with happy family lives...

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Cd Boogie went so far out of his depth with that post. How do you feel about lawyers and executives? None of the best work eight-hour days.

7. CD Boogie

OK, Tony Robbins.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't part of your versatilty, because I asked about good-paying, common jobs with job security. Is an executive a common job? Are all lawyers well paid and working nights?

The benefits of being Mark Cuban or, um, Jackie Chiles are rather separate from the folks who slog through nights at a newspaper.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Slog?

You may be setting up A Day in the Life of CD Boogie, but please, speak for yourself.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There are plenty of lawyers and executives in America. I didn't mean or say senior partners and CEOs.

10. CD Boogie

No, thankfully I no longer work at a newspaper so no more slogging through nights for me. I slog through the days at a 9-5 job...

Having seen both sides, I do understand some of the benefits of working nights, but someone said it earlier on this thread...working during the day, having hours similar to friends and loved ones, being able to attend family gatherings or school activities, that kind of stuff makes me feel like I'm more engaged with society and less antisocial.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How much fun is it?

Sadly, so much depends on your boss. That is all I'm willing to say,

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Much truth in this. I've worked for a few who had large doghouses -- if you landed there, you never escaped -- and/or excelled at running people off.

Draft saved Draft deleted