1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exactly How Fun Is It To Be a Sports Journalist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Aug 18, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not sure it cures you of being a sports fan, but I am certainly less so than I was when I started. I am a pretty big fan of all the local teams, and a few non-local. I still cheer quite a bit if I go to one of the local games, but if I'm in the office and one of those teams I was cheering for is playing, all I care about is that it gets over quickly. And I am usually relieved when those teams don't make the playoffs. Less work. Sad but true.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I can still cheer at least, just not the sports I cover (major college athletics). They hardly even interest me like they used to. Now it's work.

MLB helps me keep my sanity, although I only cheer for the Cardinals. Screw the rest of 'em.

3. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Thanks. I've decided to major in buisness at San Diego State University and maybe a masters in Sports Management or an MBA. The journalism side is gone, and I decided to try to get a career through public relations, marketing, the buisness side of sports. Thanks to all

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Start getting internships as soon as you can. Go to the sports information office at SDSU and volunteer to help with media relations at football and basketball games. Apply for internships with the Padres and Chargers. You'll be far ahead of the people paying tens of thousands of dollars for a sports management degree, when the primary purpose of that degree is making the kinds of contacts you will already have.

5. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Thank you for the tip, that is exactly what I am planning on doing. Gotta get those contacts

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You made the right decision. These are the wrong times to consider journalism as a major.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you spend any time on the Journalism Only board here, you'd be nuts to major in journalism. If I had it to do over again ... but I can't really complain about what I have done up to this point. I think I can see the edge of the cliff, though.

8. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Exactly.. I had my heart set on Sports Journalism until I spent time on this thread. Thanks a lot guys, if I ever actually make it to the top Ill be sure to remember some of you

Draft saved Draft deleted