1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Yankees prospect Brien Taylor sentenced to prison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

He had promise that was never fulfilled.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8603311/ex-new-york-yankees-prospect-brien-taylor-sentenced-prison

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

His life was never the same after that fight that hurt his shoulder.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I maintain he'd make a great 30 for 30, and this just adds a layer to that.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

He refused ESPN interview requests.

5. Steak Snabler

Yep. And it's erroneously been reported over the years as a bar fight. It was actually outside a mobile home, when Taylor went to confront someone who'd been in a fight with his brother earlier in the night.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Utter shame. This guy was the real deal.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tar, did you see this guy when he was in high school?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I didn't. I was on a hiatus from journalism at the time and living in South Carolina. I know some people who did see him pitch. The guy was a lefty with good size who threw 95 mph cheese. Think about what he could have done.

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I saw Taylor pitch Class A ball after the injury. I can't remember if he threw eight straight balls or 12 straight, but it was painful to watch.

10. Steak Snabler

An interesting take from Steven Goldman:

http://www.pinstripedbible.com/2012/11/8/3616764/new-york-yankees-and-brien-taylor-sometimes-the-universe-is-just-out-to

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll check it out, thanks. I'm a big fan of his, but haven't read him much since he moved away from YES and BP - not sure why (probably not that bad an idea leading up to the election, unless the new bosses make him stick to baseball). I'll catch up now; he's a talented writer and knows his baseball. I remember once thinking that he posted here off of something he wrote.

Draft saved Draft deleted