1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Yahoo Nascar columnist Jerry Bonkowski to ESPNChicago.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by countrygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. countrygirl

countrygirl New Member

Great news for one of my best buds, ex-Yahoo Sports Nascar columnist, Jerry Bonkowski. He's just been named a columnist for ESPNChicago.com, which launches April 13. Check out the announcement on his Web site: JerryBonkowski.com. I love the line about "Wahoo! (because I don't Yahoo anymore)." I still can't get over how Yahoo could lay off its first founding beat writer, the guy that laid the foundation for Morgan and everyone else to get to where they are today, and right after Jerry's lovely wife was permanently disabled in an accident. Real classy, Yahoo. You lived up to your names there. Jerry and his family have been in some pretty bad straits since then, so it's great to see this news. Good luck and give the Windy City hell, JB!

2. 12 posts from countrygirl, nine about Jerry Bonkowski and/or Yahoo.

12 hours after posting, zero replies to this thread.

Time to give up the ghost on your little crusade, here.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

are you suggesting that countrygirl is bonkowski?

i am outraged.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Who's in charge of these ESPNChicago.com, ESPNWherever.com, operations? Different people in each market or all coordinated out of Bristol? By whom?

5. Jerry Bonkowski

Jerry Bonkowski New Member

I can assure you it's not me, HenryHenry. In fact, someone called me and brought this post to my attention (I wasn't even aware of it; I'm on a 1,400-mile driving trip as I write this), so I re-registered just to answer your query (I had stopped using my previous account since I don't come on this board much anymore). CountryGirl is a good friend and former co-worker who means well, and yes, I'm a bit embarrassed at what she wrote. I had a talk with her about her over-zealousness and misdirection. That should end it. If you have any other questions or issues, PM me.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So who's in charge? How many of these ESPNLocals will there be?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How many will there be? The answer may directly correspond with the number of big cities whose papers throw in the towel on sports coverage.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's only one right now, if it's my understanding. And will go from there depending on how successful it is.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Anyone? Anyone? ... Bueller? Bueller?

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

considering it's a Chicago site, Bueller would be a good guess.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I heard it's Abe Froman.

12. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

All I know is I interviewed and it paid jack shit. They should be ashamed of themselves and the people that took the jobs for lack of a better description had no other options to stay in the business so came on board. I don't fault them but really hope this fails. It's hitched to the local ESPN Radio station which draws pretty dismal ratings.

Draft saved Draft deleted