1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-writer's lament

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm positive that the above is one of the worst exercises in douchehattery ever seen hereabouts.
    Jesus wept.

2. There's a vote for 'no'.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet that when time rolls around to put that 13-year-old through college you won't be so sorry you ditched journalism...

You can do both... Press boxes are filled with people who have full-time jobs during the week, but like to freelance on the side just for fun and a few extra bucks...

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure almost all of us will be stringers after we retire. There will always be a need for someone to pick up an extra $30-50 every Friday night during the fall. You've still got plenty of time.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've had that thought, actually, now that my travel schedule is slowing down a bit. Of course, I'd insist on using a TRS-80 to file my stories.

(Edited to add blue font. :) )

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well ... uh, will it even turn on?

That'd be such a great prerequisite for accepting a job: "Sure, $45 sounds great, but I have one question: Can I submit my article on the oldest piece of shit imaginable? No? Well, good day, sir."

7. Screw the stringing.
    Sell the Trash 80 to a museum and retire.
    Now where's my PortaBubble?

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

This is what is driving me to write better each and every day I am in the business. Not your daughter telling me that I am good writer, but even though I am a "youngster", every shop I have gone to, one of the first things each editor told me when I turned in my first story for them was that I had natural talent and they enjoyed reading my stuff. You gotta find that one thing that drives you or make you want to write. And in your case, FNF, that makes you happy when you reminisce about it.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

W_B, I like you a lot, but you always are one of the first ones out there to say "oh, this will not end well," or something of the sort.

If it's off-track, why not try to get it back on track, instead of whining "this will not end well"?

10. I have 4,960 posts and only ONCE have I ever used the "this will not end well" line or something like it and that was a joke about five months ago.

What's funny is I could have told Stone Cane, "Fuck you" over and over and over again as others did and you wouldn't have said anything. Call for some decorum and you jump on me. I don't see how that got this thread back on track. But I don't care. Keep it to yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.