1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-writer's lament

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

That's all you need, buddy. And you know that.

Wrap her up in your arms sometime and tell her about that moment again.

That's all you need. It will last forever.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know we've had a lot of douchebaggery in these parts, but when it comes time to vote for "DOUCHIEST POST OF THE YEAR," I hope this is one of the nominees.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

On the other hand, not to disparage Shockey, but I'd like this biz to explain to me why they keep hammering us into the dirt while paying us less than we could make in a nice daytime job, and maybe they also could explain why they keep getting their Christmas bonuses while we keep asking for enough people to get the job done right.

Not that I'm angry..........I just call bullshit on what I've seen in the biz for so long.

I haven't seen a manager sweat for 20 years or so. Meanwhile, I was having to work like a rabid dog, and I shit you not.

I love the biz. I hate the management bullshit. You probably knew that already.

I don't mind working so fucking hard for so many years, but I did expect something more than to polish their shoes.

Anyone else?

4. So do it - volunteer to string for the local paper. Or start working on a book in your spare time, a historical narrative of some sort perhaps. You don't have to work full-time for a newspaper to be a writer.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

PW, that's exactly what I was going to say.

Become a correspondent!

6. Change? Got any change, mister?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Same reason a dog licks his private parts: because it can.

Like I said on another thread, the average editor faced with this line of logic will toss a stack of resumes on his desk and say, "See that? Those are the other 100 people who applied for our last opening and I'm sure one of them would be happy to do your job at your present wage."

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

"The average manager" is a big reason why morale is so high these days.

You don't like your pay? Fuck you, we'll hire someone else. ::)

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah? That's what you bring here?

Who the fuck are you? What do you bring to this business?

Go lick your own balls.

Sounds like you don't know how in hell to hire a good editor, or run a good newspaper.

Fuck off. Who the hell are you?

10. Anyone else tired of potentially positive threads turning to shit?

11. "Supply and demand," said Ricardo.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A lot of times, they "turn to shit" because people whine about them and perpetuate the shittage.

There's only been one asshole comment on this thread, and it came from Stone Cane.

ServeItUp's comment, sadly, was hammer-on-nail, even though we all wish it weren't.

Stop worrying about the threads "turning to shit," and they likely won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.