1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Tribune subscriber sticks it to Zell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

That was pretty interesting. Not a bad marketing ploy, although I wonder if the Sun-Times hesitated for a moment realizing that they were advocating readers to scrap their paper as well in lieu of the WSJ.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe the Sun-Times still is ticked off from the power-couple package deal in which the Tribune took its sports editor (Bill Adee) and its managing editor (Joyce Winnecke). Those names were in the paper recently, too -- while mom and daughter shopped for a $775,000 Chicago condo for the family, at a time when Tribune Co. is shedding staffers and salaries of workings stiffs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/chi-0222-sellit-winneckefeb22,0,5868667.story?page=1

Never mind the downtrodden journalists who would retch over this. What about average Joe readers taken along on this condo shopping sprees? Very, very bad form. You wanna buy the place, buy the place. But if you feel like you need to write about it -- and give your 9-year-old a co-byline -- then you risk taking a little heat, Power Couple.

3. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I think Bill is divorced from Joyce.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I read this story...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Since I don't know how to pull up that illustration I took the easy way out, but that photo is exactly how I felt after reading that article. What a rub-it-in-your-face, self-serving, vomit-inducing piece of shit article to write at any period of time, but especially right now!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You vote with your wallet.

I grew up with the Trib, but if I'm in a universe where I'm forced to choose between the NYT and the Trib, I'm buying the Times, so long as all the $1.50s hold out.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Marcus' response to the copy desk was classic.
    I respect people who are not afraid to tell editors to shove it up their ass when it is deserved.
    Kudos to Marcus.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If that's the case, then I stand halfway-corrected. The breezy condo story only refers to "Dad" and it's obvious that the daughter has a different last name from Mom.

Let's hope Mom since married an investment banker or an attorney, putting her in that $775K-home bracket, rather than getting there on two newsroom salaries in these troubled, Chapter 11-Tribune Co. times.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Moddy said it months ago, and repeats it on occasion, and it is my mantra: Give me something to READ, and I WILL pay for it.

My addendum: Don't just give me something to look at. Don't insult my intelligence with sound-bite journalism in print. Give me something to read.

Draft saved Draft deleted