1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-NFL lineman Quinn Pitcock says he was addicted to video games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 29, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You think two hours of sleep and roughly 100 ounces of carbonated soda a day might be unhealthy? :(

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. Wasn't my intention. I just ... I'm not that smart. Ask me about Gatsby and I'd tell you it's just a goddamn green light. And it's just a billboard. So translating things from one area to another is not my forte. But I do think there's something to it ... I just honestly don't know what "reward" i get. I never get a high from it. I just get a low from NOT having it.

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Unplugging when you're someone who fixates on being plugged in is a ridiculously difficult thing to do. I got into a bad place after my separation (divorce final in two weeks, yay) and immersed myself in internet/TV/smartphone/etc. It was bad. I didn't want to break from it because it was easy, killed time and kept my attention off what else was going on in my life.

Eventually, I guess I had a comeuppance. Channeled that energy into working out, getting out of the house often (even if it was just to go to a park/library/bookstore to read) and reinserting myself into society. Now, when I get to feeling that I might be plugging in too much, I'll take a night and just completely unplug. It's nice. I'll sit on my balcony and read. Go for a walk. Meditate. But always go to bed early. Without fail I feel better the next morning.

I know what I did isn't going to work for everyone (or most people, probably). I still probably spend too much time online. But once I found a small way around that vice and realized the good that could come from it, it has become easier and easier.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I do that, too, sometimes.

What's crazy is that you frequently open your email/Facebook/SportsJournalists.com after 48 hours or so, and find out that nothing pressing actually happened.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Video games can be an escape for people. A chance to be something else than they really are.

Just like message boards.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. Without a doubt. They aren't intrinsically evil or anything. But they CAN BE addictive.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And tv and books probably are the same way.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I totally empathize with this lifestyle, and that described by IJAG. I have my hands on a keyboard far too much in any given 24-hour period.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

100 ounces? That's only like 8 cans Pfffft ....kid stuff. I could knock that off in my sleep,

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I've gone on all-night gaming fits. I think it's incredibly easy to do. Back in college my friends and I had a playstation and a copy of Smackdown. We would play the thing constantly. In a testament to the resilience of the machine, we had it on for weeks at a time. Over spring break we had a half dozen people in an apartment playing for 10 days straight, dozing off if it wasn't your turn, getting nudged awake when it was. We ordered pizza to be delivered so we wouldn't have to leave and got on a first name basis with the delivery guy.
    Since then I've had sessions of Civ V where I kept telling myself "one more turn" and ended up playing until 7 am and I've gone through entire seasons of Madden in a day.
    It happens.
    Also I totally agree that 100 oz of pop in a day is kids stuff. I used to have an 8 hr drive to and from college and on those rare weekends I went home I would buy a 12 pack on my way out of town and wouldn't have any left by the time I got home.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just read your article. Suffice it to say, I am your Grade A subject. The part about bouncing from food to food until your stomach stretches? I felt my stomach stretch as I read it.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was counting the two 20-ouncers I have at work, plus 5 cans before/after work. It's usually more, but there are days it's less. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted