1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-NFL lineman Quinn Pitcock says he was addicted to video games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 29, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm talking to people I don't know, and liking statuses, and playing Wild West Town on FB. Not sure it counts as "communicating."

And those video games (though I haven't read the story) are much more communicative. You play with a wireless connection to other players, and you talk to them in real time through a headset.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The 'communicating' thing is a red herring.

What IJAG describes for herself is the same as the Modern Warfare addiction.

So you sleep two hours a day?

What about weekends/offdays?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What I truly hate are the handheld devices. I swear my kids catch ADD from those things -- they come up from 45 minutes looking at that small screen and they cannot control their emotions. That just doesn't happen with them at any other time.

4. silent_h

silent_h Member

I think it's easy -- but uninformed -- to laugh this off or call bulls__t. There's actually quite a bit of neuroscience that supports this -- by which I mean, the electrochemical and biological mechanisms by which humans learn and form habits -- and I don't think it's at all a stretch to wonder if the same things, brain-wise, that make video games compelling in the first place can make them habitual and then addictive.

IJag, I strongly encourage you to take a look at a piece I wrote about ballpark food and neuroscience:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/091014&sportCat=mlb

... and ask yourself if anything in there seems familiar or related, particularly if you substitute the ballpark food stuff with your plugged-in obsession. The stuff David Kessler talks about ultimately isn't about food. It's about motivation and why we do the things we do.

5. imjustagirl

Same deal, minus walking the dog and making a few phone calls. I will grab a nap if I literally can't keep my eyes open.

My dog has actually CURTAILED my life. I don't want to put him in his crate on my days off, because he's in there when I'm working, so I don't go volunteer as much any more. The people I see at work are literally the only people I physically see on most days.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For me, the computer has taken the time the TV used to take. When I am outside working or doing something, which is every day, I am not thinking about running inside to check posts of FB status. If I am in line at the store, you bet I am whipping out the droid.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Dick's right, it's especially a serious problem in Korea. Not sure why some are surprised about this...you can become addicted to almost any activity.

8. imjustagirl

Very interesting piece, Patrick. Yes, and no. Reading your piece, I totally understood from having been around ballparks and food, etc. But I'm not sure it transfers quite as easily as you think it does.

9. imjustagirl

Oh, and all "stalking" jokes aside, I have a VERY addictive personality. I obsess, and I fixate, and I overindulge. On cute boys. On shopping. On surfing the net. On watching West Wing episodes. Whatever I am doing at that point is the greatest thing ever and I must do more and more and more.

People ask me how I started smoking at the age of 32. It's easy. I had a friend at my new job four years ago who smoked. The only time I really got to see him was if I went out with him on his smoke breaks. I bummed one. No biggie. Then I went to a bar and drank a lot and would bum 1-2. Then one night I stopped on the way home from the bar (sober) and bought a pack of cigarettes at the gas station. It gave me a reason to see my friend, and it made me feel like I fit in.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Holy shit, yes on this post. I can't get my nephews to emerge once they dive into a handheld video game unit or an iPhone.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The West Wing addition I understand, but....

Seriously, I don't take it quite as far, but I'm sure a big part of that is having a wife and daughter. But what you describe sounds exactly why I never get more than 5 hours sleep.

12. silent_h

silent_h Member

Oh, I'm sure it's not a 1-1 translation. But maybe there's something there with the cue/anticipation/reward/repeat cycle. Sounds like you have habitual behavior paired with habitual surroundings. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I'm hardly an expert. I wish you well. Feeling a need to be plugged in is only really a problem if it's interfering with your health or well-being.

Draft saved Draft deleted