1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-New Haven Register reporter dies at 27

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, May 7, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Michael Bellmore worked at the Register for 14 months and judging by this memorial he was one of the best things about the newsroom, personally and professionally.

His deskmate for a year said “Mike’s acceptance of others made you feel like you had known him for years. He always took the time to chat with you throughout the day and was generally interested in his colleagues as individual people."

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140507/ex-register-reporter-michael-bellmore-of-hamden-remembered-for-talent-sensitivity

No cause of death yet.

2. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Wow. For the newspaper to go to those lengths for a FORMER reporter makes me agree with Songbird.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I have some strong suspicions about this situation, but unless and until the facts come out, it's probably best not to comment (especially about the story and some of the quotes).

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think you just commented.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

CT has a huge heroin problem. OD deaths are way up.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20131221/8216typical8217-heroin-user-in-connecticut-is-white-male-suburban-often-unaware-of-what-they8217re-actually-using

6. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I wonder if the reporter really said he was "generally" interested in his colleagues or if it was supposed to say "genuinely."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I kind of have the same reaction.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm a little confounded about what was suspicious about the quotes? They seemed like the standard quotes about how beloved the deceased was, but more articulate than usual because they were provided by writers.

What subtext am I missing?

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The part that perked my ears was the fact that he worked there 14 months, had left, and when he dies at age 27 with no cause of death, he gets a 35-inch memorial story where he's put up on the altar about what a great human being he is, for among other things, taking the time to chat with his deskmates throughout the day.

I have no idea what's up, but it's a safe bet that something is up.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on my summer writing obits, if they're that vague about cause of death, it's often (but not always) a suicide.

I'm guessing if that's the case, we'll never know unless they write a follow-up, which I assume they won't.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not really. If I had really commented, you'd know it.

Mizzou alludes to what I suspect may be the explanation.

If that is indeed the case, some of the quotes in the story seem quite disingenous (or maybe much worse).

But, we still don't know.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A freelance reporter called the New Haven ME's office today. Still awaiting toxicology tests.

Draft saved Draft deleted