1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ex-EPSN makeup artist claims harassment, names woody paige, jay crawford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by funky_mountain, Jun 28, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What about their ombusman?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

21, I understand with your point and agree with it in theory. BUT...one of the arguments for the importance of diversity in the media is because it is important to have perspectives that the old white boys' network cannot provide.

And yes, I do expect Jemele Hill to have more to say about this subject than I would. Women in the business put up with immense amounts of the kind of crap I'll never have to deal with. If she really has no experience with it yet, then she has been very lucky.

But yes, I do think she has something to say about this...but I doubt it would be a very good career move for her....and I also doubt she has a choice in the matter.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What do you expect it to lead SportsCenter?

Nobody at ESPN should say anything about it unless it is to media critics across the country...

Let's be honest as well... I'm not defending Paige or Crawford, but this really isn't that big of a story...

4. 8000 lawyers have already told everyone in the Empire not to say a word. Guaranteed.
    This could get seriously ugly, especially of Reynolds's lawyers get into it.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What should she say? That there was an allegation against a guy she didn't work with? Assuming Woody never grabbed her ass, what's she going to add to the debate?

But just following your logic, I sort of recall a column she wrote, related to the Duke lacrosse team (I think), about her own experience with sexual assault. She got ripped for that too....I'm pretty sure the thread was deleted or locked.

Let's pull up all the threads slashing black columnists for repeatedly writing on black issues...."Race card!"...."Predictable!"

Inevitable.

There are countless other writers/reporters who could write and talk about the ongoing harrassment issues at espn...it's everyone's problem. Any guy could stand up and say, "God, this place makes me sick!' Not going to happen, nor would you expect it to.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, you asked why she might be more obligated than anyone else at ESPN to speak up and I answered your question. I never said it was a good idea for her to do it or that ESPN would allow it.

And my point still stands. I have read that argument over and over again on this site. If the department lacks diversity, it lacks the proper perspective. Well, isn't this an issue on which a woman would have a stronger opinion and more to offer?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Better question: Why would any of them be obligated? Or even allowed? I'm not a huge fan of ESPN, but, goodness, I'm not going to ask them to fall on their own sword and let one of their columnists write a piece that can be used against the network in court.

The Network might make a statement. Crawford might. Paige (dummy) already has his "not true" out there. What good would it do for anyone else? Although I'm sure, if given the chance, Berman would speak to the matter.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, that's settled. Next topic?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish ESPN would slot a 30-minute Sunday morning show on sports coverage (print and broadcast) that would be produced by a separate entity, where they could address this type of thing.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Alma--Agreed, it's absurd to expect any espn contributor to rage about this....in the absence of an actual judgment that allows the House of Mouse to show public indignation. See Limbaugh, Rush.

11. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

So was he on ATH today? Guess here is pressure mounts and ESPN backs away for a minute or suspends him for a while. You can't suspend Salisbury and do nothing to Woody.

12. lono

lono Active Member

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06292007/frontback.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted