1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-cop: Don't give money to panhandlers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Sep 29, 2009.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The panhandling situation is awful in Winnipeg, too, and they're aggressive.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't get me started on the United Way. Every year, they would do their big drive, and my paper would make us sit for a meeting/guilt trip by the United Way to get us to donate. I would always refuse and after the first one, I skipped the meetings. I figured that I had enough work to do without wasting time sitting in a meeting for which I wasn't going to make a donation.

The UW would say that we could designate the charity that we could have our money sent to. They really didn't have an answer for when a fellow employee asked them why they should send their money to the UW when they could just send it directly to the other charity.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My personal policy is that I don't speak to bums.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I used to feel the same way. until one day I saw a good friend of mine, who was out on his luck, panhandling not because he wanted to, but because he neeed to. His luck has since changed for the better but when something like panhandling touches close to home, your views can change greatly.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

United Way is an epic racket. So, regrettably, is the Red Cross, the way things stand now. Choose carefully.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Must not have been too good of a friend if you didn't know he was so down on his luck that he became a bum. I call BS on your story.

7. BULLSHIT?!!!!
    On a Drip story!?
    NO! WAY!

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's true. He was a very successful human resources professional in better times, too.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

So is the American Cancer Society. The CEO makes more than a million a year, last I looked.

We've got all these folks in the community thinking they're doing a great thing with all the Relay for Life BS. If only they knew that most of what they were doing was lining someone's pocket.

It galls me even more knowing that a friend of mine in this shop died several years ago of cancer, and at least four current employees (and one other former one) have fought it. One is my direct boss.

On their behalf, the American Cancer Society really pisses me off.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I recall a story from a friend of a friend who a few years back picked up a panhandler, telling him he wouldn't just give him the money but he had some yard work he'd pay him $100 for. He agreed. After an hour or so, the story goes, the friend of a friend left the house to go get some burgers, some of which was the panhandler's lunch. When he got back, the panhandler and about $700 in power tools were gone. He was found and arrested because a neighbor had spotted him.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

the panhandlers in Europe are much worse than anywhere I've seen in North America. The gypsies run complete scams involving their kids, grandparents......it's a family affair.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

[​IMG]

It's quite the business these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted