1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-cop: Don't give money to panhandlers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Sep 29, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Interesting column today on AnnArbor.com from a retired AA cop, who is a regular contributor. When I read it, almost all of the people who posted comments agreed with him, yet the panhandlers make a mint in and on the fringes of Ann Arbor. Interesting tug of war there.

www.annarbor.com/news/the-panhandler-vs-charitable-organizations/

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto has a ridiculous panhandling problem. It's a fucking industry here.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yesterday I was in traffic near downtown and a guy was working an intersection with a beat-up cardboard sign. The guy in the car in front of me signals the guy, and he sprints to get to the car before the light changes. Guy in the car reaches across and hands the guy something out the window.

Panhandler looks down to see it's an energy bar or something, and rolls his eyes and looks like the guy just handed him a lump of shit. I laughed all the way home over the look on the panhandler's face.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree with the guy completely. College towns have got to be the most lucrative places for panhandlers ever. The paper from the local college town had a story a couple years ago saying those people can make $200-$300 a day begging and close to $500 a day during Christmas.

I used to walk up to the ones by the grocery store and ask them if they would like a bowl a chili or soup. About 1 in 3 was gracious and the other two would accuse me of accusing them of spending it on alcohol or whatever and berate me for not giving them cash.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Walking down State Street in Madison last Friday a bum yelled out "spare a dollar so I can buy a bottle of..."

I thought he was going to say "water" so I kept on walking. But he ended up saying "vodka." I turned around and gave the guy a dollar.

All my friends were cracking up. But really, I was just going to spend it on booze anyway. I should have given him a bottle of vodka.

6. Mizzougrad96

I can respect honestly on some level. :D

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i remember a guy in dallas who had a collection of great signs. my favorite was "why lie? i need a beer."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've handed a buck or two to guys sitting there drinking a beer. I really can't stand the folks who make up those stupid stories. Always gas, diapers or bus fare.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I walked out of the sub shop and a guy asked me for money the other day, and I said, "No, but I can give you half my sandwich."

His response? "What kind is it?"

We are all slaves to our own tastes, I suppose.

10. Mizzougrad96

I was stunned and really taken aback at the pissy responses I would get when I would offer to buy them a cup of soup or chili.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My psychology teacher from high school says his father was at a train station in July of 1966, when he happened upon a panhandler asking for money. Instead, he offered to buy him a sandwich at a nearby diner, and shared a quick meal with him. They spoke briefly and the panhandler went on his way, claiming he had a train to catch.

Days later, as my teacher's father watched the news, he again saw the man for whom he bought the sandwich: Richard Speck, who soon after their meeting tortured, raped and killed eight nursing students.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

Convenient portion of the column:

"This is not a new phenomenon. In 1891, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s character Sherlock Holmes solved the case of The Man With The Twisted Lip. This case involved a missing journalist, who when found by Holmes, had been living a double life as a respected journalist and a London beggar. It seemed he made more money in stage make-up begging than as a journalist."

Draft saved Draft deleted