1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Chi Trib's Skip Myslenski to Northwestern

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Aug 9, 2009.

1. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Skip was a treat to be around when I was covering the Big Ten. Always had great stories. He asked for my insight a couple of times when he was working on stories and it was an honor. I felt like I should be saying, "No, I should be asking you.'' The sad part about him getting let go by the Trib is that he really loved the business.

I'll root for Northwestern a little harder in the upcoming school year. . .I know Skip had a very good relationship with Bill Carmody. I'm sure that helped him get this assignment. . ..

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is excellent news about an old and cherished professional friend. I never in my life imagined I would ever read NUsports.com, or even know it existed, but now I will.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Amen, although that black hightops Chuck Taylor-wearing bastard led me down the road to perdition far too many nights to remember, then would kick my ass in god-only-knows how many Marriott workout rooms the next morning. Being Skip's pal definitely wasn't for the faint-hearted. Think I still have PTSD from covering the original Dream Team with him in Barcelona in '92. God love him.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't mean anything by this...
    But, I'm guessing -- unfortunately -- "contributing writer" doesn't come with benefits or even a living wage.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That sentiment can be applied to many people -- probably most, even -- who have been let go in recent years.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know this is semantics, WT, but I think most of them -- most of us -- love the craft, love the profession, love the work. But we hate the business, especially after being let go.

7. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Will Skip get his dial-up internet access upgraded to wifi with this move?

j/k, congrats, Skip.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Of course we do.
    I know it ain't roofing in Las Vegas, but it's a grind. And it's a grind for relatively small reward (monetarily speaking).

Draft saved Draft deleted