1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo says the NFL ignord hundres of cases of domestic violen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2014/10/09/former-bears-nfl-teams-hid-hundreds-domestic-violence-incidents/MKT6YQEiNMgLE1hPLqvG7J/story.html?rss_id=Top-GNSP

I

Jerry Angelo, seen here in 2001, told USA TODAY Sports that teams refrained from disciplining players in ‘hundreds’ of domestic violence matters over his 30 years in the league. Jerry Angelo, seen here in 2001, told USA TODAY Sports that teams refrained from disciplining players in ‘hundreds’ of domestic violence matters over his 30 years in the league.

In an interview with USA Today Sports, ex-Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said that during his 30 years in the NFL, teams refrained from disciplining players in ‘hundreds’ of domestic violence incidents.

USA Today Sports’ Josh Peter wrote Thursday that Angelo said when teams found out about an episode, they would ask “is everybody OK?...How are they doing?” and then “just move on.”

“We knew it was wrong,’’ Angelo told USA Today Sports. “…For whatever reason, it just kind of got glossed over. I’m no psychiatrist, so I can’t really get into what that part of it is. I’m just telling you how I was. I’ve got to look at myself first. And I was part of that, but I didn’t stand alone.”

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Prove it.

/oop

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In other news, sun expected to rise in east tomorrow.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Has anyone talked to the great Tagliabue? Does he get a pass? Obviously Goodell has received a lot of well-deserved criticism, but haven't heard too many say a bad word about Paulie.

5. Neutral Corner

So why does Angelo choose to put this out there? He has to know he's throwing a hand grenade under the banquet table.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Bears' response?

The NFL remains largely in denial.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This story doesn't seem to have gotten much traction.

Is the public burned out on the subject?

8. Neutral Corner

Seems like it. I know that I've read the stories for years, but that link seemed to gather a shrug and a collective "Yeah, so what else is new?" here.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stalking me even on threads I hadn't read yet. Nice.

Seems like Angelo is talking about things he has no direct knowledge about. He also isn't making accusations about any specific individuals, which makes a difference.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think this is why it hasn't gained much traction. And the fact that the league finally seems to be trying to move into the 21st century. Attitudes about domestic violence have evolved across the board, so it's really no surprise. The league is just moving more slowly to evolve.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, he's predictably walked it back:

Thanks for you leadership on the issue Jerry.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The police report issue was one I meant to mention in my previous post. If there was a domestic violence issue with a player even 30 years ago, there would presumably be an arrest/report. So reporters would presumably have had access to that information. It's not like the NFL exists in a bubble and could just keep it quiet. But with the attitudes back then to just ignore it/look the other way, it is certainly possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted