1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EW's 25 best action movies ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How is Kill Bill the only Tarantino film listed? Are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs not action films? True Romance should be on it as well...

Is Fight Club an action film?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Raiders is one of my fave all-time movies, lost count of how many times I've seen it. Good to see some love for Road Warrior too.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Am I the only one that wonders about the integrity of magizines such as EW?

Got this weeks issue and the first thing that came to mind was "Die Hard at No. 1?" And the new Die Hard comes out in two weeks?

Hmmmmmmm.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Great list. Maybe I'm nuts, but as much as I dig the first Die Hard and its influence on the genre, I've grown slightly more partial to Speed. Gives me more of a rush.

Another interesting point about Die Hard 2: The late Gene Siskel crowned it the best overall movie of 1990.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Best "Action Movies Ever?" Ever? There's hardly a thing made before the mid-80's.

HC gets EW at home. I don't read it cover to cover but I can never decide whether it's a trade journal or a consumer magazine.

And this list has me scratching my head--like their movie reviews. I mean, they gave "Ocean's 13" andA minus. Huh? C to B minus, maybe.

And why is "Saving Private Ryan" on that list? If you wanted to include war flicks, I can think of about five I'd put ahead of that.

Kill Bill isn't nearly as good as Pulp or Reservoir Dogs.

Do flicks like "French Connection" and "Bullitt" qualifty as "action movies"? If so, they should be on there.

I have no idea how "Incredibles" would be included on that list. That's just silly.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, there's gotta be something to that.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No Eastwood? No McQueen? No Stallone? No Burt? No sale.

Have no quibbles with Die Hard at the top - it reinvented the action genre (Speed, Sudden Death and those Steven Segal movies) But to leave out Bullitt, First Blood (which pre-dated Die Hard) and The Enforcer and Smokey and The Bandit? Gimme a break

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure Die Hard 4 coming out prompted the list, but it's hardly a reach to put the first one No. 1...

I agree about French Connection and Bullitt being on the list and if Saving Private Ryan makes the list, what about Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, The Deer Hunter or Apocalypse Now?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure "list-makers" at major publications are told to throw a few curveballs in the mix so readers don't just look at it and say "Ok" and move on.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'd be happier with the list if they flipped Raiders and Die Hard. Also, Incredibles shouldn't be on the list. I agree with whoever said "Empire" should be replaced with "Jedi."

and Mizzougrad, you should really see "Seven Samurai"

Draft saved Draft deleted