1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evgeni Malkin escapes Russia via Finland/Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ericbowser, Aug 12, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently Smasher thinks he's been clever by putting down hockey...you know a sophisticated American. As if.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I'd venture to call that an oxymoron but that would be insulting a lot of friendly people around here.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Turns out you don't get the point at all. It's not about liking hockey. For all you know, I love hockey and just happen to recognize its cult status in the lower 48. This is about the board being hijacked by some jerkoff who thinks this is the campus paper for his scoops, complete with anonymous sources. If you want to follow the story, fine. There are more credible sources than some guy in his basement.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

We got it. But for all you know Eric Bowser may be a fine journalist of the Internet nature. You don't know any different either. You could be the king of Sheba. Now go take your bile to another thread, so we can discuss the Malkin issue. Mmm-kay?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fine. I apologize for missing your point. And I agree with you. Some newbie coming on here acting like he's the second coming of Red Fisher is a bit of a joke. Pissing match over.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I just spoke to Gary Bettman and he assures me it's all true.

7. ericbowser

ericbowser Member

Buckweaver - that would be me. I've learned, even when I have a story and break the news, I don't get credit from the industry so why bother worrying about it. I posted on this board to get some of those hibernating hockey writers to pickup the story during the dog days of summer. This is a huge story for hockey even if Major League Smasher doesn't want to believe me.

Most NHL teams are looking at the outcome of Malkin's defection as a way to possibly get their prospects out of the ever-increasing Communist Russia.

FYI: I used to have goals of being a writer but when you have a family and make more money working in the banking industry, I think you would understand why I do not have a byline to release this information.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

See what I mean?

You've opened the doors for a poor aggrieved basement journalist who breaks stories left and right and gets no credit -- repeat NO credit -- from the industry.

ericbowser, if you can turn down your blood pressure for a second...there may be repercussions from what happens with Malkin. But right now, nothing has happened with him, so there's no ripple effect at the moment, either. Got it? What you're trying to connect right now makes as much sense as asking a coach if he might switch goalies if his team loses the first two games of the playoffs.

BTW, I'm going to stop by Chase or Citibank HQ tomorrow, let everyone there know they're lazy and I could do their jobs better than they can. It's just that I don't want to work mornings.

Should go over well.

9. ericbowser

ericbowser Member

Smasher - The only repercussion Malkin has to worry about is the Russian mafia killing his parents and/or taking their businesses. I know the Penguins have worked alongside the US Immigration lawyers and officials to secure visas and have been asking all the important questions to make sure Malkin could not lose his case in US courts vs Metallurg/Russia Hockey Federation.

Does anyone think with his defection, they will pull the trigger on his parents considering how big of a profile Malkin is in Russia and how much international condemnation Russia would receive for its blind eye toward its ugly problem.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I remember when I was smalltown kid in B.C., went into Vancouver to get a story from Jarome Iginla, who had played for the local major junior team. He was just as starry-eyed as I was, he being in his rookie season and me interviewing my first NHLer. Went into the Canucks dressing room to get a story from Corey Hirsch as well and the good media folk of Vancouver were swarming all over Pavel Bure. Couldn't figure out why, considering he hadn't exactly had a stellar game.
    Next morning, all over the news was his alleged link to the Russian mafia.
    It's not like the group is new but the power it is wielding in this instance is rather frightening.

11. ericbowser

ericbowser Member

Flash - Even recent times, Nikolai Zherdev had to go through threats of the Russian Army because he left the motherland for Columbus. Of course, maybe the Russians were insulted he left for Columbus.

The Penguins are being very quiet on the Malkin inquiries, at some point, they will have to issue a press release.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey, I thought this was funny.

Rollin' on down that highway etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted