1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything is worse is Texas, players assault ref

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the suspension is anything less than thunderous, I presume the officials' association will take matters into their own hands by refusing to work any games involving these kids ever again. If either of them (one is a senior, the other a soph) ever show up on a roster, the refs wheel on their heels and walk out.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to focus most of my outrage on these guys this week event on though old Walter Palmer is re-emerging in Minneapolis.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I hear both those kids are now being recruited heavily by Baylor.

JayFarrar and studthug12 like this.
  4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Idk kids do very stupid stuff and turn their lives around. Lets hope it's a blip on the radar. I don't ban them from HS football, but do make the team ineligible for entire season, forfeit remaining games. Kids should have chance to atone for errors, but literally no more mistakes. One slip up and banned.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That wasn't a "slip up." It was a premeditated assault.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A slip up is smoking a joint the night before a game. I've seen kids get banned their senior seasons for it and others get told they were banned only to be brought back. This is something different. assaulting an official goes way beyond a slip up.

I know some don't want to see them expelled for doing this, but you figure if they assault a teacher during school, they are probably gone. I don't see how this is much different. I do respect where people are coming from, however. Kicking them off the team probably is all the lesson they need, but IMHO you have no choice but to come down hard in this case. If they aren't expelled, I'd like to see what the alternative punishment is, because it has to be more than just you can't play anymore.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK

Jay assistant placed on leave following umpire incident - High School Sports

According to Northside ISD superintendent Brian Woods, Breed allegedly told players “that guy needs to pay for cheating us.” Breed was hired in 2010 and is a Jay graduate. Racial slurs were also allegedly said to Jay players by umpire Robert Watts, according to the district.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Players involved in the incident: arrested for aggravated assaulf. Banned for life from HS sports. NOT expelled from classes; presumably will continue academic careers at alternative schools when criminal cases are done.

2. Assistant coach: arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor and as an accessory to the assault charges. Banned for life from HS sports and fired from teaching job (if applicable). In Texas it isn't hard at all to get public school teachers fired.

3. Head coach: Again assuming HE had no knowledge or approval of the attack, suspended for five weeks (half the season). If any evidence shows he WAS involved, then see above: banned for life, fired from teaching job, prosecuted on criminal charges.

4. Team: No football activities during course of HC suspension; all games in that period forfeited. If HC is shown to have been actively involved, program is shut down until next season.

5. Refs: If investigation produces any evidence other than claims of the perps and teammates that racial or other epithets were used, refs are suspended for one year. If not, nothing.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted