1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything is worse is Texas, players assault ref

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Amuses me how these hyperbolic overreactions always ensue after these stories. Rein it in, fella. This was an outlandishly and exceedingly rare occurrence, and will remain so regardless of how this is handled. The notion that it's suddenly gonna be "open season" on officials without a harsh enough response is absurd.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Players never play high school sports again...
    Suspend them from school for about 10 days...
    Only get police involved if ref presses charges...

And holy shit, it seems like the refs were fucking this game up. Deserve and cause are two different words, trolls.

I would also bet a little bit of folding money that one of the the kids' coaches, probably a position coach organized the hit or hits. I've seen coaches have players do it to other players more than once (one was a holder of an extra point). At best, these coaches lost control of their players.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Don't stop being you, Devil.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

#thisdontcountasnuance

doctorquant likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't care if racial taunts were being stated, that does not justify the cowardly attack.

BTW, kids you really "showed" them; showed them how cowardly you were.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Expel the kids and charge them. If there is evidence the coaches were involved, bounce them and charge them, too.

I don't think you can or should do anything to the rest of the team. The rest did nothing wrong.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Tweener likes this.
  8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Says the person on his fourth or fifth handle at this place.

Can you still go back in your history and delete all your dipshit posts?

Tarheel316 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So the kids, suffering the indignities of a racial slur, were so incensed, so overcome with rage ... that they stood there and waited for the proper moment to get their shots in. Hmmmmmmmm ...

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Also, that seems like something the coach would have mentioned in his apology. One would think.

A sportswriter friend was opining on his Facebook page on how "boys will be boys" and "they're just kids" so even suspending them for the entire season was a bit too much for him. He thought maybe five games would be adequate.

Hey at least it wasn't those West Point cadets hitting people with helmets in a pillow fight.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

True ... but that's something grown men know. I have it in my head that's not something widely understood at the teen-ager level.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, Vester Flanagan lived with his rage over perceived slights for years before carrying out his selfie murders.

Draft saved Draft deleted