1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything is worse is Texas, players assault ref

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wayne Elliott, the head of the Austin Officials Association has already come out and said his organization wants these kids banned from football. The AOA supplied the crew that worked this game.

If that name sounds familiar it's because Wayne Elliott was also the replacement referee who worked the Seahawks-Packers Fail Mary game a couple years ago.

Also, not sure if it's been pointed out here but one of the players involved in the attack wasn't ejected from the game. Another player who was not involved was kicked out by mistake.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The perps have been named in a couple stories already.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good luck with that after they've salted the earth.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Those two players have to be charged with assault. You have to kill this with fire. Otherwise it'll be open season on high school officials all over since this has gone viral. And finding willing officials is tough enough already.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Annnnddd the race card has been played so this is totally justified...

Texas HS football incident under investigation after players appear to attack official

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And that kid stayed in the game to pick up a personal foul against the QB on the next play.

I'm in rare agreement with Starman justice. Shut 'er down.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wonder what the quarterback said ... :rolleyes:

Songbird likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

While basically I am backing the refs here, why the hell wasn't the game called when the ref was pounded to the ground? Why were any more plays run?

I remember talking with some refs a few years ago about bench-clearing brawls in basketball, and I do remember general agreement that if they found themselves in a bench clearing brawl and got hit by any player intentionally, the game was over and forfeited as of that moment and they were out the door.

And I do remember covering a couple games with brawls where the refs just walked off the court and said, "that's it, game over."

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Probably told him to go adumbrate himself.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Now that's amazing. So taking out the ref wasn't enough, he went headhunting after the QB on the next play? Now that's a kid with some severe anger management issues.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's on the coaching staff. Someone had to see he was in on the hit on the previous play, and get him out of there. Another reason the program should be shuttered for the season.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted