1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything is worse is Texas, players assault ref

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This is just Darwinism at work. Don't hate it for what it is.

If some ref can't survive being blindsided, and then speared in the back, their own particular line of refs deserves to die out.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The first kid sprinted towards the ref, lowers his shoulder and tackled him. It wasn't something where he just crashed into him randomly.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on too long of a suspension. This is Texas, after all. Football trumps education and discipline and everything else schools are supposed to be about.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

story has been updated, players suspended from school ...

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I almost accidentally decapitated my dad with a foul ball.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No doubt. And the actions of the second kid confirm it. But without the second kid, the first kid could have had an argument that he was watching the ball carrier and running in that direction. He wasn't the former, but he was the latter.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. That's the exact comparison I made, too.

JC likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This happened in our area a few years ago in fastpitch softball. The pitcher and catcher were suspended for one game, believe it or not.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm usually not that guy, but if the school principal shut down the program and forfeited the season, I'd have no problem with it in this case.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Doctorquant's teammate

[​IMG]

murphyc, Tweener and Iron_chet like this.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Weasel logic. That argument wouldn't last long at all.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Players: prosecute fully on charges of aggravated assault. Suspended for life from any involvement with HS sports. And no we don't care if you find Jeesus and turn your life around and all that happy hopey bullshit. Banned. For. Life.

Coaching staff: Presuming the news accounts are true and the coaches had no knowledge or prior approval of the attack, suspend the coaching staff for four weeks for failure to keep the team under control and allowing an atmosphere in which such an attack was even conceivable. (If any coach is proven to have known or approved of the attack, they're gone for life too.)

Team: You win as a team and lose as a team. No football activities whatever while the coaches are on suspension.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted