1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything is worse is Texas, players assault ref

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That video's horrible. Those kids should be, at the very least, finished as high school football players. Done, ineligible, across the 50 states. They deliberately tried to light up that official.

SFIND, heyabbott and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nothing matters here until we get Devil's take.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

OOP is hanging out in the comments section.

"What is wrong with people today? These two players should be sacked from football FOREVER! Just like Tom Brady (THE CHEATER) should be a man a serve his 4 game suspention."

JackReacher likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They wouldn't have had to do it if the ref weren't making such bad calls.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is what happens when kids watch soccer.

cranberry likes this.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thanks, Obama.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You could maybe argue the first kid had his eye on the runner and it was accidental, but when the second kid comes in and leads with the helmet ... kind of like when the second plane hit the second tower, it removed all doubt that the first one was any kind of accident.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then you have to believe burning jet fuel melted steel beams, and that's unpossible. @friendofsmallpotatoes

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My 8th grade year we had a dominant team -- filled with kids who'd been held back a grade in elementary school and were also early developers so were the same size they'd be four years later as seniors. One game we were killing a team but they had a linebacker who took cheap shots on nearly every play. Late hits, spears, little kicks, while the dad-refs (it was on their field) ignored it. He was like a miniature Conrad Dobler. So last play of the game, running back comes in and gives me the playcall. "get Red Man." Red Man. The linebacker, wearing a long-sleeved red sweatshirt. I call the play -- simple dive -- and the RB gives the rest of the instruction, which came from our coach. I hand the ball off to our RB and the nine other guys go sprinting toward the linebacker. One of the linemen crushes him, the others pile on, they all get up cheering while the kid rolls around in agony, crying.

That was righteous.

Going after the ref was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Gator likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When I was in youth baseball, age 15 or so, the catcher got pissed at the ump. Catcher intentionally missed a pitch that hit the ump in the throat.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I played a bit of youth baseball ... when I was a kid we had Dixie League, not Little League, but by then it was integrated ... and there was always that one team (it was a four-team league) that conveniently had most of the really good athletes/players. Their catcher* was especially obnoxious, even though they were all pretty bad sports. His trick was to show you the ball (i.e., shove it right in your face) if you struck out. Naturally, I got to enjoy many instances of such show-and-tell.

Now I was never on a good team -- and of course I was never any good -- but once I had a teammate who was pretty good, and he was tough as nails. Rangy, rough kid off a mill hill. Nice enough but he didn't take shit off anybody. So we got down to the last game of the season and had to play that good team. Late in the game, my teammate struck out (probably the first time that season). As soon as that catcher showed him the ball, my teammate caught him under the chin with a roundhouse right. That catcher was so stunned he just fell straight back, like in a movie. Absolutely a priceless scene. Of course my teammate got tossed, but it didn't matter.

*The catcher went on to play college football (offensive lineman) and coach/teach high schools. Helluva guy. I run into him almost every time I go home.

Draft saved Draft deleted