1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything I write is terrible

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Mar 6, 2007.

1. musicman

musicman Member

posts like this make time spent here worthwhile...thanks. when time allows, i hope to be more of a contributor.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

I had a hard time letting go of copy early in my career, one reason I switched to the other side. It wasn't that I thought it was bad; I was obsessing over possibly making mistakes (names, sequences, details, you name it).

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

At what point does caring turn into an obsession? I have been thinking about a lede I wrote two weeks ago, and how I could have--should have, really-- written it differently.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Seriously, dude, that's way too long.

I'm a pretty laid back person, especially when it comes to work. My philosophy -- inherited from my first boss, who had a great perspective on this kind of shit -- is "there's another paper tomorrow."

You wrote a great story? Great. But there's another paper tomorrow. Write something for that one, please.

You wrote a horseshit story? Too bad. But there's another paper tomorrow...do your best to write a good one then.

99 percent of everything that appears in every newspaper in America is ephemera. Good, bad or indifferent, most of your readers won't ever look at or think of anything that appeared in yesterday's paper once it becomes yesterday's paper. Our job is to make them care about tomorrow's paper, and maybe the next day's. There's nothing we can do about yesterday, or even today.

5. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

I am glad I am not the only one like this - luckily I am getting more and more compliments from co-workers and readers (like yourself).

I just wish that I would get more feedback - both positive and negative - thats the only way I'll grow.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's worth point out that jgmacg, Friend of the Friendless, Jones (when he ain't book-touring), NoTalentAndFatToo, Tom Petty, Piotr, Ellis Red, DogpoundDH, write-brained, myself and numerous others are willing to help in the Writer's Workshop. Not enough writers seem to want to do this. If you don't want to out yourself, create a new handle and post. All talent levels are welcome.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

honestly, i've never been to that thread, but since an 'effin' stud said i would, i will.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Really? I thought I saw your name over there. Must have been another member of the Traveling Wilburrys (Jeff Lynne?).

Also, rumors of my Effin Stud status have been greatly exaggerated.

9. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

Thanks for the advice Buckweaver, I read a lot of things - now I just have to narrow it down to writers that are good - and not just those that I respect (I am learning more and more that there is a difference in the two).

Double Down - You are an effin stud - I missed your post before I wrote mine - that gave me some perspective - thank you.

And I will visit the writers workshop with a piece soon - I am definitely not worried about being outed - everything I write here I would write with my own byline.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

Do you look at non-sports stuff, too?

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I've realized that for the most part the only time you're going to get feedback is when you get something wrong/ write an especially bad story. How often does anyone (who isn't related to the subject) call or e-mail over a story you write? I've found that 99% of feedback is reserved for columns and usually when the reader disagrees with you. Obviously when you write a big feature story it's nice to get feedback, and hopefully you do from your editor(s) and readers, but day-to-day I don't think it's strange to not be getting feedback on gamers, advances and notebooks. At least that's the way I look at it, because if there was something wrong, I have to believe you'd hear about it.

The coolest/most humbling thing I've found is when my friends are talking about something I wrote and they don't know I wrote it. Cool because they're just regular people talking about something they saw in the paper that I wrote, but humbling because it makes you realize that the average person doesn't even always check the byline.

12. I'm happy to.

Plus DD, you deserve all the praise you get on this board. Your posts are always very well thought out. You're one of my favorite to read ..

Draft saved Draft deleted