1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 27, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Make a 26-yard field goal.

Beat the 19th-ranked team.

We're not exactly asking Boise to, you know, do anything real difficult.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Read my point from above. Then again, you can argue that Tech doesn't turn its season around without facing an 0-2 hole. It can go both ways, I suppose.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Rose will do whatever horsetrading is necessary to maintain a Pac-10/Big Ten matchup, so flip-flop TCU for Stanford to get:

Rose; Stanford v. Wisconsin
    Fiesta; TCU v. Oklahoma

which actually makes some sense.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The 19th ranked team in the country is a damn good team no matter who it is. For the record, prior to this weekend, South Carolina was 18th. But if South Carolina beats Auburn next Saturday (won't happen), Auburn would still get a BCS at large berth, while Boise gets dropped down the bowl food chain to the plankton level for a similar loss. That hardly seems rational, let alone fair.
    And this makes some people on this board deliriously happy. They LIKE an unjust and uncompetitive system which offers an imaginary validation of their prejudices. Believe me, it's not the Boise defenders here who ignore facts in favor of opinions. Just check out the language and claims made by the two sides.

5. BTExpress

Because teams like Miami and Michigan are at least TRADITIONALLY good teams. And Ohio State has had Texas and USC on its schedule as well. If Ohio State ends the season with an SOS ranking lower than 40 (it's 56 now), it's unusual. If Boise State ends the season with an SOS ranking higher than 80 . . . well, I don't know, seeing as it has never happened.

I want to see them earn their way into a playoff. By going 12-0 or 11-1 against a schedule in the top 50 percent of the country. Do not want to see them "awarded" a playoff spot every year on the basis of a shiny record against nobody.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

See above. The Rose has no choice but to take TCU if the title game is Auburn-Oregon.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Obviously, Boise is out of the BCS mix, fair or not. But a question for the bowl junkies: With all the conference tie-ins, are there any of the top non-BCS bowls Boise could play in, or are they relegated to a pre-Christmas Nobody Cares bowl? Is there any chance the Broncos could be selected for a New Year's Day game?

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

Nope. All of them have contracts with other conferences.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So what's the best name bowl game Boise could be selected for?

10. BTExpress

It blew $3 million, which is its take for a BCS bowl.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Forget Boise. How can a system be justified in which UConn goes to a BCS bowl and Stanford might not? This is, in effect, a $10 million subsidy for Big East conference schools for no other reason than to insure the other conferences get their subsidies, too.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

UCONN will lose next week in Tampa.

Draft saved Draft deleted