1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think this is right on Boise, since the Pac-10 is struggling in the bowl department.

If Washington and Oregon State lose next week, the Pac-10 will have only three eligible teams and potentially seven slots to fill. So the best Boise could do is the Holiday Bowl against No. 5 from the Big 12, or maybe the Sun Bowl against No. 4 in the ACC and the worst would be the Las Vegas Bowl against the Mountain West No. 1 (which would be Utah since TCU goes BCS) because slot No. 5/6 in the Pac-10 is the Kraft Hunger Bowl, which would be against the WAC's top pick.

So at least the Las Vegas Bowl would be two ranked teams. The Sun Bowl would probably be Miami, Boston College, Maryland or N.C. State.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A bowl that loses a team to the championship game has to take a qualified non-AQ to fill that spot. They only have to do it once every four years though, so the Sugar Bowl is free and clear of TCU because they took Hawaii in 2007.

EDIT: My bad, it's actually a rule specifically to address the Rose Bowl. From BCSFootball.org:

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And it took this scenario for you to figure out what an inexplicable disaster the college football postseason has become?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

BCS; Oregon v. Auburn
    Rose; TCU v. Wisconsin
    Fiesta; Stanford v. Oklahoma
    Sugar; Arkansas v. Ohio St.
    Orange; UConn v. Va. Tech

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pray God.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good heavens. After deciphering that I'm now too tired to watch anymore college football.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'll make some random SEC bowl predictions, assuming Auburn defeats South Carolina

BCSNCG: Auburn
    Sugar: Arkansas
    Capital One: Alabama
    Cotton: LSU
    Outback: South Carolina
    Chick-Fil-A: Miss State
    Gator: Florida
    Music City: Tennessee
    Liberty: Georgia
    BBVA Compass: Kentucky

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How about Virginia Tech DicK? Would it lose to Notre Dame and USC even more handily?

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Man, that's saying something.....because I thought both ND & USC looked like horse crap. Two 7-5 teams, that looked it.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I like the Reese kid, I think they've found their QB. Much better fit than Crist, in BK's offense. Other than that, I thought they stuggled to beat a mediocre team, that had nothing to play for. Spent the entire 1st half thinking that if they had Barkley at QB (Mustain was just "off" on a ton of throws), that would have been a lot different game. It just felt like a poor USC offensive effort made ND look like a better D than they actually are. Just my observation, of course.....no one has asked me to take over any football coaching duties lately. Or ever, for that matter :)

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia Tech is one freaking third down conversion away from an undefeated season.

Of course the Hokies would be No. 3 in the BCS with no chance to catch Auburn or Oregon.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Absolutely. No way they lose that game to JMU if they beat Boise. I've watched a ton of JMU this season and that was a one-in-a-hundred shot, the Dukes winning that game. They're just not very good. Poor weather, turnovers, hangover. Perfect storm for JMU to come in and win.

Draft saved Draft deleted