1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone's Entitled To Their Opin....Holy Crap!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Stupid column.

Personally, I thought the mindlessly obedient flag-waiving post-9/11 patriotism became creepy and insincere after a while. Started to seem less about "unity" than something else. And wasn't that national mood of unity why we so easily bought into Bush's bullshit rationalization about the need to start an unprovoked war in Iraq, and the reason many who did ask the right questions and dissented were shouted down?

So Stuey thinks another horrific national catastrophe would be just the medicine we need to scare us back into that mindset? No thanks.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Bad idea, poorly done. What's not to love?

3. Yes, by all means let's have another terrorist attack so we can unite and forget all about the egregious offenses committed daily by the administration.

Will this guy still be employed a week from now?

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Idiotic and offensive. Beyond that, great column.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Why not rail against the architect of the Iraq War, the President? He was the one that took the country off track.
    And having recently been on Philly's subway system, I thought it had already been attacked.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, which is why the column is so poor. Stu argues that the country needs to rally together. Well, the last time that happened Fredo took full advantage and started a war that created the division. Seems to me that we shouldn't start the cycle all over again just so we can have a year of unity.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The only possible positive about 9/11 is that the forgotten classic New York Groove by Ace Frehley saw the light of day again.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The column was retarded. The paper and Philly.com knew full well it would piss off enough people with the sixth anniversary coming up.

I was happy to see the unity after 9/11 but I knew from the minute it started, it would be short-lived.

I gave it until or through the Christmas holiday before it would die, because I figured with America's short attention span and the new bruhaha over the Christmas holidays (Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays and other such stupid crap), Americans, regardless of subject, couldn't stay unified for very long.

Of course, Bush giving up hunting down Bin Laden in favor of hunting down Saddam added to my theory....And, again, it turned out, I was right.

9. Here's the website of the Governor of Massachusetts.
    It think it is because it says "Official Website Of The Governor Of Massachusetts"
    I do not find that it says what you claim it does.
    Perhaps I am wrong.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3homepage&L=1&L0=Home&sid=Agov3

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Every time I manage to muster a sliver of hope for humanity, somebody comes along and writes something like this.

Americans have turned their backs because the war has dragged on too long and we don't have the patience for a long slog. We've been in Iraq for four years, but to some it seems like a century. In contrast, Britain just pulled its soldiers out of Northern Ireland where they had been, often being shot at, almost 40 years.

Yes, by all means, there's a model we should emulate.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Actually, it was a message board (much like this one) on the Deval Patrick Committee Web site where someone posted a pro-9/11-conspiracy missive. Maybe you missed the disclaimer at the top of the page:

"The views expressed by users of MyIssue.DevalPatrick.com do not necessarily represent the views of Deval Patrick, the Deval Patrick Committee or anyone else other than the person responsible for posting them."

You can argue that it might not be a great idea for candidates/elected officials to have open message boards, or that those boards should be policed more (although that would open up a different can of worms). But it's disingenuous to tie Patrick himself with this nutjob. There's another post on there titled "No more gun control in Massachusetts." So does that mean Patrick's also an NRA loyalist, too?

12. The only real benefit of another 9/11-style attack is the release of another Toby Keith war song.

"Where were you" should be our new national anthem. The fact that it's not is a stain on our nation's soul.

Draft saved Draft deleted