1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone staying warm as another round of "global warming" sweeps the nation?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 14, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That huge swath of white is record-setting cold, just in case you don't know.

My town will be in the minus-20s tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Holy shit! It's gets freaking freezing cold in January in the Northern US.

Stop the fucking presses!

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, global warming = always warm. Who knew?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're not properly understanding this climate-change thing, are you?

It means everything gets wilder, climate-wise. Colds are colder, warms are warmer, storms are more severe, etc.

It was in the mid-80's last week here. Now it's in the 50's and 60's. Does this mean global warming miraculously disappeared and was solved in the time in-between?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Record highs this week in my part of the country. My anecdotal evidence wins!

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll offer this up to both sides of the global warming argument--those who use a cold spell to dispell the argument and those that see a hot streak

The Earth has been around millions of years. Any global warming effect can only be measured and calculated in decades and centuries and beyond. Trying to support an argument either way on one weather front, one winter or summer, one storm pattern is absurd.

It's a little like pouring a glass of water in the ocean and expecting to see a noticeable difference in the water level.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's kind of the point, CK. The climate has been proven to be gaining in warmth over the past century. Since 1979, Atmospheric temperature have grown twice as fast as oceanic temperatures. It's been proven to be rising.

That's why most of us are derisive when someone comes on here and says record low temperatures = global warming is a myth.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

North Pole temp today is 28 degrees, they're having a heat wave, a trpoical heat wave...
    http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USAK0173?lswe=north%20pole&from=searchbox_localwx

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Don't worry OT. If you get snowed in just start a thread. We'll pray for you.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm understanding that since global warming stopped a few years ago your side now has to call it "global climate change." I'm understanding that one quite clearly.

Problem with your warmer warms theory, though. Didn't happen. Isn't happening. Stunning lack of heat waves across the US last summer, or didn't you notice?

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Everyone staying warm as another round of "global warming" sweeps the nation

Your side = science

Draft saved Draft deleted