1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone reunites eventually, part the millionth: Soundgarden is back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's the alternative? Let's ask Kurt Cobain, 42 .... ahhh never mind.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Almost everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bands_Reunited

This was a truly great show, fascinating to watch those through the ugliest break-ups. I always hated ABC but I hugely respected the two principals who stepped up. The bands didn't matter to me (except The Beat and Squeeze). Saw The Beat, Squeeze and Seagulls in concert. But as a way to get the backstory out, to get the nitty gritty of the biz that we never see when it's unfolding, it was fascinating. A franchise due reheating.

o-<

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That was a tremendous show. There were great little moments scattered through each episode. The dude from Berlin was very cordial and agreeable, and then didn't realize the crew was listening in when he called a bandmate to say there was no f#%@ing way he would ever do this. Holly Johnson refused to perform with the rest of Frankie Goes To Hollywood because their live shows were "so legendary," he would never do anything that might tarnish their reputation.

One thing they glossed over just a bit: some of these bands had already reunited. I've got a Beat live video from shortly before the show was taped (though Cox and Steele weren't part of that one, either.) Squeeze reunites every 10 minutes, in one form or another.

And FotF, I've also seen the Beat, Squeeze, and the Seagulls, and will add Berlin and... ahem.. Klymaxx. I worked at Disneyland during college breaks, and was working crowd control on New Year's Eve 1985 on the Sleeping Beauty's Castle drawbridge when Klymaxx performed. As I was standing in front of the stage, the lead singer grabbed my head and sang part of "Meeting in the Ladies Room" to me. That's my brush with greatness.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Loved that show, too. But if it was a half hour as compared to an hour, you knew the band was not going to be reunited.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I know I will probably incur the wrath of the music snobs on here, but I was actually a big fan of Audioslave. I liked their sound quite a bit.

6. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

The show had amazing potential, most of it unexplored. It was so focused on 80s-era bands and really you could go right back to the 60s if you had wanted to. I guess dawn-of-MTV-time video dictated timeline and the less-than-major finances/psychic clout of the network was a limiting factor in the production. It had a chance to be an important resource on rock history--but now it seems every day or so a rock figure from the 60s is dying and the numbers are shrinking with each passing year.

o-<

7. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

Those bands who didn't get back together and particularly the band members who shut themselves out made for the most fascinating character studies.

I can't remember which band it was but one girl talked about a heroin problem that took her out of commission and got the band off the rails. Though it was no band I was interested in, it was amazing TV, more inside than any high-minded rock doc.

o-<

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Wake me when The Jets are on tour again
    [​IMG]

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

With or without the brother who split early to form Boys Club, which then hit big with "I Remember Holding You"??

Holy shit. I can't believe I remembered that without even having to think about it.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Impressive, Double J. Eugene and the brother's Wolfgramm used to play basketball together every now and then when I lived in MPLS. Good guys, actually.

I remember the scandal in the family when the sister married the guy playing for the Vikings.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was inspired to wiki the Jets, and, while some of the family's 17 children (!!!) still perform, the original lineup reunited in October "to perform at the Mega 80's & 90's Music Festival in Honolulu Hawaii at the Blaisdell Center Arena along with fellow MCA recording artists Ready For The World, The Covergirls, and EnVogue."

Um, okay. Because THAT'S a show I'd pay good money to attend. Even BYH is gagging at that lineup.

Personally, I think the Jets should tour with Benny Mardones, for obvious reasons.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Regarding the show Bands Reunited, I remember the episode where most of the New Kids on the Block refused to get back together, then they reunited anyway a year or two later.

I guess they wanted to do it on their own terms. Can't fault 'em for that. I can fault them for plenty, but not for that.

They should also have asked Jamie Kelley and Mark Wahlberg to rejoin.

Okay, I really, really need to go set myself on fire now for even knowing the name Jamie Kelley, much less the fact that he was an original member of the New Skids.

Draft saved Draft deleted