1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

everyone gets a trophy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by proudpittsburgher, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Many kids have learning disabilities that go undiagnosed and the school system casts them aside as "lazy" .

I would tend to label those said school systems as "lazy"

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Those are probably 7% of all students. What about the other 93%? Are we having the tail wag the dog?

3. Boom_70

Are you suggesting that you don't bother with those 7% and focus on the high achieving 93%?

4. 93Devil

Just a question.

And every other student is not high achieving.

5. Boom_70

"with tail wagging dog" comment viewed more as opinion.

What is your answer? what do you do with those 7% (your number) ?

6. 93Devil

Good question, but do you alter the entire educational process to fit their needs?

If a student has a disability, they get all the necessary accommodations to help them succeed. But these accommodations should not filter over to students who do not need them.

And if a student comes in from a poor household, it can be a problem that they are marked learning disabled when they actually are smart, but their parents, or lack thereof, never prepared them for school.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I talked to a coach today who had the following exhange with a high school student.

Coach: If you go to the store and buy three things that are each $12 and you pay with a $50, how much change do you get?
    Student: I can't answer that.
    Coach: Why?
    Student: I don't have a calculator.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The terrorists have won.

9. Boom_70

More an indictment of the math dept than the kid

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To quote one of my favorite authors, "What if a child deserves to be left behind?"
    Not everyone can be Ivy League. The world needs ditch-diggers. Besides, the ditch-diggers are making more money than me.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

As well as having a legitimate learning disability as opposed to running the 40 in 4.4 and not caring about school

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We never had F's at any level. E's we're failing, 59 percent or below. You could also get an incomplete if you missed a lot of class. But it was essentially the same damn thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted