1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everybody ready? Just a few more days 'til the 40th Anniversary of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Aug 7, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Woodstock.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/arts/music/09pare.html?hp

The sine qua non of rock concerts.

The Vietnam war was at its peak, and after the Kennedy & Martin Luther King assassinations and the police riots at the Democratic Convention in Chicago, Woodstock was one of the few happy moments of the late 60's.

No, I wasn't there. I was working that weekend but a bunch of my friends headed down.

I'm sure their stories grow with the telling.

When the hippie subculture surfaced en masse at Woodstock, two years after the Summer of Love, it was still largely self-invented and isolated. There were pockets of freaks in cities and handfuls of them in smaller towns, nearly all feeling like outsiders. For many people at the festival, just seeing and joining that gigantic crowd was more of a revelation than anything that happened onstage. It proved that they were not some negligible minority but members of a larger culture — or, to use that sweetly dated term, a counterculture.

And four months later came Altamont.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong, and everywhere was a song and a celebration ..."

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mud, rain, drugs and the idiots who organized it. It wasn't as much of a party as people romanticize it to be now.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is one event that's been anniversaried to death with the same shit about it repeated over and over every 5-10 years. No thanks.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The story I'd like to see is of 10 kids who were conceived at Woodstock. Who are they, what are they doing at age 40, are any of their parents still alive, etc.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Trust Hondo to take one of a generation's most memorable moments and come up with his patented, "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn"

Did you come out of the womb a grumpy old man?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Snoopy smiles.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Here's a link to the trailer for "Taking Woodstock" by Ang Lee which comes out at the end of the month:

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was there. Had a good time, too. Left when it rained on Sunday, so I missed the mud part. Not too sorry.
    Many great performances, and a few clinkers (Grateful Dead had major equipment problems, 7 a.m. EDT was really not a time when Jefferson Airplane felt, looked or sounded their best).
    The Atlantic City Rock Festival earlier that summer at the old race track there was almost as good, if not as many acts. Last three acts were Janis Joplin followed by Ike and Tina Turner followed by Little Richard.

Draft saved Draft deleted