1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every HBO Show Ranked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by garrow, May 30, 2019.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sopranos, Deadwood, and The Wire being 1-2-3, I am OK with. I'd arguably put Sopranos and The Wire and co-No. 1. When the list has The Newsroom in the bottom 10, that pretty much made the rest of is null and void.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They definitely had The Newsroom too low. The show had some serious flaws, but it wasn't that bad.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I disagree with a lot of that list.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Wires no 1. Its definitely better than Deadwood.

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I'd put Rome in the top five but it never got much traction.

John From Cincinnati was fascinating because it gave you the impression there was a hidden mystical meaning to the show starting with the initials of the title.

Fred siegle and heyabbott like this.
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My top 5 (in no particular order): Eastbound and Down, Veep, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Deadwood.

Honorable mention: Curb, Entourage, Newsroom, Lucky Louie, Hello Ladies, Crashing, Vice Principals, True Detective, Succession

8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Enlightened is an all-time underrated show. Pleased to see that it rated No. 11, which is perhaps as well as could be reasonably expected, given that it lasted two seasons. I would have had it at No. 4, after Sopranos, The Wire, and Curb.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Goes to show how superior the programming on HBO has become. There's not a show on the big 4 networks in the last 20 years that could crack that top 10. Maybe the first season of 24.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In retrospect I find the Sopranos to be over rated. My guide has kind of been would I go back and rewatch the series. I’ve rewatched The Wire, Deadwood and Rome a few times. As much as GOT was appointment viewing, I have no desire to watch it again. I’ve seen some episodes of The Sopranos again, but in channel,flipping, not on purpose. I don’t think it holds up well. It’s cartoonish, most of the characters have no development. Somebody has to have redeeming qualities for me to stay interested.

Just the facts ma am likes this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I love Barry. My favourite new show in a long time.

Deadwood was the first show I bought to own it, because I love it so much, but I'm not sure it was better than The Wire. Super hard to compare them.

Incidentally, HBO has great luck with showrunners named David. Chase, Milch, and Simon for your Top Three.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oz kept me awake at night. Fucking disturbing.

Draft saved Draft deleted