1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everett Herald says sports columnist lifted passages from SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a loophole that lazy reporters have been using for years.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

That's not just plagiarism, that's making stuff up out of whole cloth.

Unless, somehow, both he and Reilly had the exact same "what's a screen/pick" conversation on the last play of the only game they won.

3. What if it's a widely dispersed quote?

I know what you're saying, though - competitors taking a one-on-one quote and writing, "said recently" so that they don't have to mention your publication by name. That's pretty bush league - just not quite plagiarism, by definition.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The time in question, it was a quote given to me and only me... It's not plagiarism, but if I was a SE I wouldn't let it go without proper attribution.

5. silentbob

silentbob Member

Have you guys read these two columns?

This is worse than plagiarism. It's not like he lifted a quote or passsage.

He actually adopts Reilly's coaching experiences, changes a few words and claims it happened to him. This is on the Stephen Glass scale of making things up.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Having read both pieces I assume we'll be reading of a columnist opening at The Herald in the next couple of weeks. With UW and the Seahawks firing up they'll need to move in a hurry.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I always wonder what drives people to do this. I mean, it's almost inevitable you're going to get caught. Stupid, stupid move.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Funny thing is, BigSleep, with your handle and this guy's name, I kind of wondered if it might not be you ... Good to hear it was not.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait one sec, Granny. I know who wrote that and when. It was ... it was ... come to think of it, I don't remember having read it anywhere. Good job. I like the imagery, too.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

No, it's not me. Now there's another member named "Sleeper." Him I can't say. :)

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I confess, the "balls as big as churchbells" line was swiped from Dragnet: The Movie. I will now turn myself in to the SportsJournalists.com HR department (run by SigR?)

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Never saw that, so I never heard that line :D

And while you're in HR, ask the person in charge about Boots. We all want to know the outcome.

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted