1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everett Herald says sports columnist lifted passages from SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see the guy himself seems to think it's as big of a deal as we do, apology or not. He seemed to have a pretty firm grasp on why he got fired.

I don't understand those making the argument that this isn't a big deal. It's a huge deal. Stealing a journalist's words is like stealing a pitcher's arm or James Earl Jones' voice. It's what we got, often times all we got, and it's what puts the food on the table. Granted I'm sure this guy didn't do Riley any monetary damage, but he was still stealing the one thing that makes Rick so special.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Provable plagiarism is a summary firing offense in most Guild contracts.

The Guild will usually go to some effort to prove that a specific episode may not "really" be plagiarism, but if the offense is proven, the shit's in the fire, almost always.

Whether Everett is Guild or not I don't know.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I read it that they talked about six weeks to let things sort out -- whatever that would be -- with the idea he could still be fired. And he just decided not to wait for what he seems to have considered inevitable.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not necessarily.

I know a guy who got caught back in the 80s. He lifted a golf column.

He went on to become an editor at one paper and is now the editor of an even bigger daily. Not a metro, but a paper in a fair-sized city.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What do you do when that happens? What has happens to the people who do it?

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It should be simple--plagiarism is a line you can't cross. But when I taught college kids as a TA the past couple years, I had students who didn't even know what it was. Of course, I caught a few who did it too-one who lifted wholesale passages from a website. Quite rightly, they failed the course.

7. Mental illness (for lack of a better term - the stress that builds up and plays with your mind) is a very, very serious thing, with ramifications and effects on otherwise normal-thinking individuals that it's difficult to understand until you've been through it.

That said, there are consequences for actions, and the consequence here seems appropriate. We all hope you (and anyone else in or out of our profession who gets pushed to their own personal breaking point) gets help, gets it together, returns to a position of productivity and happiness.

But you can't do it here anymore after you've plagiarized. He said it himself - it's Sin #1. Whatever the circumstance, I can understand, I can have sympathy, I can wish you well....I just can't have you work here anymore.

It's not a case of "off with your head, plagiarizer!" Get that together and hopefully either someone gives you a chance to prove you've rehabilitated yourself and gotten your issues straightened out, or you take another career path. In either case, you probably have a whole lot of living left to do, so you'll have to find some way to pay the bills.

8. The Pitts piece is mighty.

Draft saved Draft deleted