1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever wonder what....Andy Rooney will do in retirement?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 27, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...yeah, me neither.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/27/andy-rooney-60-minutes-ending_n_983891.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I bet he turns into a crotchety old man who complains about things that aren't actually happening anywhere except in his mind.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, he has a 30-year head start.

4. TigerVols

I'm just glad I'm not the intern who has to clean out all the crap in his office.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Continue being observational, woodworking, going to Giants games.

Great writer.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

At least 20 years overdue.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He'll have more time to hang out with Ali G.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Re-fixed.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like there have been more than a few weeks when he wasn't on lately. I like that they are playing around with the format more - not afraid to go to a second segment on a story.
    If they do replace Rooney they should go with a proven writer first and foremost. Tough to cram something entertaining and with a point into three minutes. Maybe have PJ O'Rourke and Will Durst trade off.
    People knock Rooney but with so much changing in the world, it is nice to have someone say "why are we changing things anyway?"
    I imagine he could fill an entire episode with how great the postal service is. Buying stamps (why so many different ones?) Going to the post office (I don't mind lines so much, it's kind of nice to have a few minutes and just look around, think or not think, see who the FBI is looking for) going to the mailbox (It's kind of like Christmas everyday (except Sunday) - you never know what you might find in there).

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's so out of touch, it's embarrassing.

"Look at this. It's a toothbrush with plastic bristles and everything. I hear they are all the rage these days. But why anyone would spend $1.29 on such a thing when they can rip a twig off a tree and scrape away is beyond me."

12. TigerVols

My vote for Andy Rooney's replacement:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7381502n&tag=cbsnewsVideoArea;cbsnewsVideoArea.1

Draft saved Draft deleted