1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever wish your mom a Happy Giving Birth Day?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Apr 15, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've been doing this since I was a kid and my mother loves it, so I figured I'd suggest it to the masses at SportsJournalists.com and see what y'all think.

On my birthday, I always wish my mother a "Happy Giving Birth Day" and send her a card (I have to customize a blank one). My thinking is that she did all the work that day, so why should I be the one everybody makes a big deal out of? It just seems more appropriate to me to acknowledge her on the day that she became a mother rather than Mother's Day, though I do both.

Is this nuts? Does anybody else here do something similar?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does she get to reply with a "Thanks for ruining half my 20s and all of my 30s" card?

Seriously, though, that's pretty cool. Never done it, but I might give it some thought this fall.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's funny. Every birthday, Kevin's dad sends him a box of condoms and a bottle of tears.

4. outofplace

Nah. She saves that one for my older brother. He was a nightmare. Relatively speaking, I was the good one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Happy Comb Your Hair Day.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Nine months before my birthday, I send my dad a "Happy roll over and fall asleep" card.

7. outofplace

Can't have that. It descriminates against bald people.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was born on Labor Day. Isn't the timing thanks enough?

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I've always done this. Not necessarily always with a card, but I do tell her thank you. I bought her flowers the year I turned 18.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was born on my mom's birthday, so we talked about this frequently. She said I was the best birthday present she ever got.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Nice idea. I think I'll start doing it with this birthday.

12. outofplace

Glad to hear it. I know it puts a smile on my mother's face when I do it. I knew some people would make fun of the idea (hello TSP!), but I figured making mom smile is a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted