1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever try to listen to the game AT the game these days?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Oct 8, 2007.

1. RichJohnson

RichJohnson New Member

Pausing the DVR works well, with a little trial and error. It took me three tries to synch up the Ducks-Call game on TV with Jerry Allen's call on XM Radio.

Right you are, Headbutt, about WHFS. Not a whisper from the tallest point for many miles in College Park.

In-venue radio is something that's still gaining momentum. Several tennis tournaments now do it, renting or loaning the radios. Some golf tourneys, I hear, also do it. Only issue there is to make sure the receivers don't have speakers - headphones only.

At the Super Bowl, they've been giving away crappy little radios and even worst headphones to every fan in the stadium. Last time I tried to listen was in Detroit, and the noise made it impossible to hear a thing 80% of the time.

And here's a story from that game that's more embarrassing than an extra-long delay. During the last of the pre-game show and the first few minutes of the game, the channel that was supposed to be feeding the Seattle play-by-play was, instead, feeing the signal from KIRO's sister station, which is conservative talk. So, instead of Steve Raible and Warren Moon, fans in Motown got to almost-hear the 'best' of Rush Limbaugh. It was corrected about ten minutes after kickoff -- after I (a former employee of the flagship station) called and finally convinced an old colleague I wasn't making it up. Maybe now they'll take the in-venue feeds from the respective booths instead of an ISDN back-feed from the respective cities.

Draft saved Draft deleted