1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever put in a pool?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

We're about to buy a house after finally selling being on the verge of selling our house and we'd like to put in a pool soon after we move in.

Obviously, having never done this, almost any advice would be welcomed.

I'm looking for approximate cost, first off. I know that relies a good deal on the size, shape and make of pool, but a ballpark figure would be fine. We're just not sure what a standard pool would cost.

Also, some things to ask for would be good. I have no idea about equipment and what should be included in the basic pool package.

I guess what I'm saying is, educate me.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does the inflatable variety count? If so, I'm here for all your questions.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

There are inflatable pools?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah. Kiddie pools. I think they make them for adults now. Beer drinkin' was never more refreshin'.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wait a minute. Regarding the original question of this thread, I have a question of my own: How in the hell can a journalist afford to put in and maintain a pool?

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Have you checked with you homeowner's insurance carrier?

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] He didn't say what size pool. Most of us could afford to put in a kiddie pool.[/blue]

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Depends on what part of the country you're in ... down in Florida, in-ground pool installation starts at around $16K and moves up from there, depending on bells, whistles, etc.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Here in Florida most pools are 12 or 15 feet by 25 or 30. Prices range from $20,000 to $25,000, and prices go up with more bells and whistles (free-form rather than rectangular, spa, etc.). They say prices go down in the offseason, but I don't know this to be factual. I'm sure there are key questions to ask pool contractors, but I've not gone through this process.

Please pass along the good and bad when you get it done.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Join the neighborhood pool. They clean it for you, they pick up the liability and all that. I never known someone with a pool who didn't declare it to be a money sucking pain in the ass. A hole in the ground in which you throw money (kind of like a boat, except no hole in the ground).

Friend of my son was at a neighbor's pool and busted his head pretty good. Neighbors are sweating liability something fierce. Animals wander in and drown, people pee in the thing *** no way. Just no way.

That said, count on 20 grand unless you want a really horseshit pool.

Only hole that big going into my backyard is my grave.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And remember, in-ground pool hurts your resale value because most people don't want to be bothered wtih all the BS Moddy just listed.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My sister has a pool in their suburban backyard.

It was great when their kids were young but now even though it hardly gets used, they still have to maintain it so it doesn't turn into a swamp.

And Spinited is right. Don't put one in unless you're planning on staying in the house until you die.

Draft saved Draft deleted