1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever had anything stolen from a press box?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 6, 2006.

1. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

Food theft from the refrigerator is fairly common. I don't leave stuff in the refrigerator too long or it will be eaten.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

That paper, however, was an afternoon daily and we were in there between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. Needless to say, there weren't too many folks in the building during those hours and we could pretty much figure out who lifted our goods. Anyway, sorry about the tangent. Back to press box larceny ...

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

After a minor pro hockey game (Hey! to Canada!), I came back from the postgame interviews under the bleachers and found one of my bags missing. Doofus took the one stuffed with notebooks and reference books, left the laptop.

Actually, given the state of that piece of crap, I'd have rather had the notes than the computer :)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Before I arrived at the paper I'm at, there was a guy who was notorious for stealing food out of the refrigerator in the lunch room. Some press guys decided to finally get back at the guy. They made a sandwich that looked like corned beef dripping with gravy but was actually canned dog food. The thefts came to an abrupt end after that. :D

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Had a PR person get her laptop stolen when I was working the press box at a Grand American race last year. I think I felt worse than she did.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to threadjack, but one of the funniest puns I've ever heard involved your man, Bubbler. It was in one of the Callahan's series books by Spider Robinson. When I find it, I'll PM you.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

At Oregon State University, I once returned from the field after interviewing the 2A state champion football team I was covering to find all the sportswriters standing outside the door, one holding my laptop. The butt-heads at OSU booted everyone out of the box 10 minutes after the game because they wanted to get home.

$%^#$& Beavers. :mad:

8. I once caught one of the local radio guys from one of the 2 watt stations in the area trying to steal my headphones. He claims he was just looking at them. Unfortunately for him, he was "looking at them" as he was getting on an elevator to go down that I was getting off when I got up there.

He had the case and everything. He gave them back, I told the PR Director about it and he was banished. His station was sent to the auxilary pressbox.

Draft saved Draft deleted