1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever had anything stolen from a press box?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 6, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ahh, BYH knows the loving burn of sideburns on the back of his neck...

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Listen, I only WATCHED him during what he called his "bullpen sessions," OK?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I think Ray Melick has been bashed enough on here. ;D

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Paging dog428...

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've had fans try to take game notes from the courtside press areas at college basketball games a couple of times.

Last season, at Northwestern, the guy who took them was still standing there when I came back. I saw he had game notes in his hand. When I noticed my stuff was gone, I turned around and he was walking to the other end of the court.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

And then...

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

I once caught a fan attempting to walk off with my notes during a college basketball game. Caught the SOB red-handed. He just dropped them and walked away before I could say anything.

But the biggest heist I've heard of came at the '01 ACC Tournament. I believe several laptops were stolen from the pressroom at the Georgia Dome.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I lock my laptop with cable lock or carry it with me. Looks goofy wearing a backpack while I'm doing interviews, but that's better than dropping cash for a replacement. The big problem I've had has been keeping up with cable locks. I generally don't carry anything else of value with me. Not that I have anything that's valuable. Just sayin ...

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I once was working a Steelers game for NBC and was doing end zone camera. This was in Three Rivers Stadium, so my camera was in the baseball announce booth. We went to tear down things, I went to grab a hand truck to take my cases out, when I got back, my bag was gone.

What I lost:
    CD faceplate for my car
    About 30 CDs
    Rain gear
    Tools I used when I was doing camera (wrench set, pliers, knife, etc)
    Couple of sweatshirts
    Car keys

When I got back to the booth, I noticed things were gone. Hopping mad, I went down to security so I could fill out a report. As I was listing what had walked, the guard said, hey, wait, someone dropped off car keys and something that looks like a glasses case (it was my CD faceplate), neither of which could be used by them, since they had no idea which car was mine. I said was he carrying a green bag? Yep, he said. I said can you tell the police what he looked like?
    Guard said, I can tell you who he is.
    He denied ever having a green bag, so I never got the rest back, but acted like a hero for turning in my keys and faceplate.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've had my pride stolen many a time when I wrote a shitty lede/story/column. It's happening today.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Don't worry Bubs. Give it some time and you will write the best U-13 girls summer softball story in the history of mankind. :D

FYI, I think I am giving you a run for your money in the most evil avatar category.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You won ... hands down.

Draft saved Draft deleted