1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever feel like you're being stalked?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. sartrean

sartrean Member

I disagree, Dog.

I think they take pictures of the local sports writer hack talking to their kid because it's the job of the local sports writer hack to entertain them.

That's what we are for our readers; we're entertainers. It's our only purpose in readers' feeble minds. That's why readers get so pissed off when they see photos in the newspaper like the one of the dad reacting after learning his kid was killed in a bus wreck. That ain't entertainment; it's real. Consequently, readers get pissed.

But back to my likeness in readers' photo albums, or worse yet, digital photos of me, talking to studly high school sports star, being emailed out all over kingdom come. I don't like that. Sorry you guys do.

I also don't like it when readers tell me how to do my job, which is not that different from them taking a picture of me talking to their kid. When readers and parents say jump, they expect us to say "how high?"

That's just another reason why I hate this "business" of news media. And with all the free access to our work these days, it's hardly a business anymore. And I've got pay stubs that can back that up.

2. sartrean

sartrean Member

Fact #1, law school will not take me 10 years to complete.

Fact #2, people with law degrees have a cornucopia of employment opportunities, even those that do not require the applicant to actually practice law.

Fact. #3, I'm already in a mountain of debt from my undergrad. In today's economy, we're all in mountains of debt from our respective educational paths. It's called indentured servitude.

Fact #4, another reason I want a law degree is because I want to do something with my life that matters. Following around little Johnny or little Suzy at the ball park is not that important in the grand scheme of things. It's so unimportant that rich ass sports mom and dad won't even subscribe to the newspaper that's featuring their kids. Instead, they read for free online, then come in to purchase that one single hard-copy. They do this because rich ass sports mom and dad are probably in a mountain of debt, resulting from their respective educational paths.

3. sartrean

sartrean Member

Thanks Tom for your apologism, yet the natives are restless. You defend me at your own peril, and you're too nice. I hold no visions of grandeur on my abilities. If I were truly successful, I wouldn't have been in this profession for the past 16 or 17 years.

I'll just add that this was not my "career" of choice, rather it's the only thing I've been able to do, save flipping burgers.

Back years ago, I and others were able to make a pretty decent living in this business, but those days are long gone.

And yes, I'm burned out on this b.s. It is not important, or at least I don't find what I do to be important or worthy of the thousands upon thousands of dollars my company wastes on newsprint. Most folks just throw away the non-daily editions of the local, big city daily anyway, so why print them?

I'm also burned out because if you've read one of my stories, you've read them all. They're all the same, little Jonnny scored X and had X rebounds or X tackles, or X interceptions, or X birdies, or finished the race in X time, struck out X. I've tried to concentrate on features, only to no avail, either through little cooperation from the subjects or due to the fact that there's nothign newsworthy there. Or, if you feature one kid, parents start lining up around the block to feature their kid (because they work so hard).

I also detest the way my company treats people. Not just me, actually I like them better now that I'm a stringer. But we're expendable in their eyes, and they recruit at J-schools every year at this time, and then in midsummer, the layoffs of the "overpaid" veterans begins.

But most of all, what I hate the most is the shit I've had to endure from readers. For a long time, I didn't complain, yet showed up daily for my heaping serving of shit. And I've worked at 10 different rags in several different ways, as SE, as ME, as lowly copy editor, as lowly typesetter, as photographer, as sports writer, as a news reporter.

Like I said earlier on this post: If I had real talent, real ability, if I were truly ambitious, I would not have spent the past 16 or 17 years of my life in this god awful "business." I realize that I made my bed, and I've been lying in it. I realize I am just part of a larger dung heap (which makes me nothing but dung).

So am I bitter, yes. Am I a dickhead, yes. I know my shortcomings, and in the future when fat assed sports mom wants my picture with her kid, then I'll graciously jump through that hoop for her because I am nothing but just part of a larger dung heap.

I've read what everyone here has had to say about me, and you all know me so well (no, really you don't. But as journalists, it's your job to jump to conclusions). I've taken some things to heart. Maybe it's not that bad if parents expect me to entertain them, even in person when talking with their kids.

I have, however, taken the required steps to find another career, and someday that will be a reality for me. And I will always continue to comment on this business, even if very few of you agree with my opinions.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, you are one bitter piece of dung (to use your words). I thought I was bitter, but I would have to work very hard to reach your level of self-hatred and your capacity for blaming the world around you for your unhappiness.

Just to correct a few things. It's not that most of us like being in those photos. We just don't give a shit. And it's not worth fighting over.

And if you have paid any attention on this board, you would know most of us don't care for parents telling us how to do our jobs.

Blame the business and those around you all you like, but if every story you write reads the same, that's a failing on your part and a sign that you are doing the right thing by getting out of the business.

5. Fact #1: I wasn't suggesting it would take you 10 years to finish law school. Don't be such a fucking drama queen. This is what I actually wrote: "I'm trying to imagine you in 10 years after you've finished law school, passed the Bar, climbed out from your mountain of debt and practiced for a few years in the public sector."

Fact #2: No shit.

Fact #3: Not a fact. Sounds more like your own anecdotal evidence used to support a limited understanding of today's educational system. I have an undergrad degree and I'm not in debt.

Fact #4: You don't need a law degree to do something with your life that matters. Join the Peace Corps. Go teach inner-city kids how to read and write. Go write a book on how to fix the newspaper business. I don't give a shit. But don't come on here and demean our profession just to glorify your own ego. <i>Oooh, look at sartrean, he has a law degree! He must be so much better than the rest of us!</i>

I know a lot of people who have gone to law school. Some are now practicing law, some are not. But none of them are changing the world (even if that's what they set out to do), and none of them are doing something that's more "important in the grand scheme of things" than what I, or anyone else on these boards, does for a living.

You need to grow up. Maybe you have a shitty situation at your shop and that's why you're so bitter. Maybe you really do just hate Suzy Homemaker that much for wanting to take your photo. I don't know. What I do know is that you're the "journalist" who gives the rest of us a bad name. Enjoy your career in law. No one in this business will miss you.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now that is a well-written rant. Nicely done.

Draft saved Draft deleted