1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever feel like you're being stalked?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Wow, you're really a miserable prick.

2. WS

WS Member

If Mom's a few feet away and not saying anything at all, there's really no reason to be an ass about it. I can understand if she's causing a scene telling you what to ask her kid. A lot of moms love watching their kids being interviewed. It's just another photo in the scrapbook.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

WHAT principle? You can't interview a kid while someone is taking a picture? Unless she interrupted your interview or made you wear a funny hat or something, what's the problem?

I don't get this thread at all. Stalking is one thing--people following you home, calling you incessantly to complain, threatening you. But recognizing you from your byline? Taking your picture with their kid? Be flattered. They think you're important. Say thanks, or say nothing, but there have to be worse things to get pissed off about.

4. You might not, but your paper's photographer does.

Your job and your photographer's job depends on people talking to you, trusting you, allowing you to take their pictures ... that means being a professional and, gasp, being polite, sociable and accomodating.

Trust me, if they stop buying the paper the first person to go will be the obnoxious, self-important pissant golf writer with a chip on his shoulder. There is no principle in this case. It's your job. If you don't like it, get another one. The world of journalism will be better off.

5. Jesus, dude. You sound like a real asshole. Be flattered that some parents think you're important enough to warrant a photo op with their kid. When I interview high school kids after games the parents just ignore me.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

So if you're covering a football game -- standing on the sidelines -- and wind up on the highlight reel for the local 10 o'clock news, does that mean you're going to cuss out the cameraman/woman from the TV station? Maybe even pull a Kenny Rogers stunt?

GHEEZ! Quit being such an ass! There's a lot more important battles to fight other than worrying about a mother taking a picture of you interviewing her offspring. And if it bothers you that much, get a different job and quit giving the rest of us who cover high school sports a bad name. There is nothing wrong with treating others as you would want to be treated.

Now, to get this back on track somewhat, there is no comparison to the recognition we receive for having a byline versus being stalked. What the crazy softball dad did was stalking.

I was stalked for quite some time by an ex-boyfriend. It was not an experience I ever care to repeat, and even today -- he has no clue where I am, if I'm married or what -- every once in a while if I see a vehicle driven by a man who resembles him, I get a little nervous.

Nope, no comparison whatsoever.

7. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Just get amused when that happens. THat's what I do. What I usually find eerie is when my editor is working on a page and has the Quark document zoomed in close, and I look at the basketball photo and see myself staring back from the computer screen.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

To connect threads, just be worried if they snap a picture of you hugging one of the high school athletes.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We've gone this far without a Brook Jacoby reference.. I am very disappointed

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

His gain is our loss...

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I seriously wonder sometimes what some people thought this business was going to be like when they decided to pursue it as a career.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I thought I didn't like having my picture taken. I still don't.

But sartrean's example isn't one I'd copy to avoid a photo op.

Draft saved Draft deleted