1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever cover two games at the same time?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 13, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

You know what I'd do? Two games at the same time, man.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

State playoff time, especially during baseball and softball districts, I've done this.

Here, the district semis and finals are the same day. And usually, if you had two teams from the same school, the softball team would play at 12 and baseball at 2 with the finals at 4 (or something like that).

So it was possible to go from one game to the next. Of course, it was more difficult if both teams made the final or you had more than the one local team. But with three games (two semis and one final) you could pretty much see each team play once.

The whole baseball district was one story and softball a separate story, so it really wasn't that much room for much except the championship games and a couple grafs on each semi.

3. I clicked on this thread specifically hoping someone had made this very post. Thank you for not letting me down. :)

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I never tried that and hopefully never will.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Soccer is the one sport where I've been able to do this, at a high school tournament. The tournament was held at an 8-field complex, with the two semifinals being playe side-by-side. All I did was stand in-between the two, have a watch going on both games (no scoreboards), and double-check goal times with the referees after the game.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When I was at a one-man shop, I would cover 2-3 football games every Friday night. I'd have to get pictures for each games, take some notes, and then for the last game get quotes from the coaches.

After game three I'd get back to the newsroom, write the gamer, then call coaches from the other two games and get quotes for my other notes. It never worked. There was never enough time, and coaches never called me back. It was very stressful.

7. I was fortunate enough this past weekend that both the boys and girls lacrosse teams at one local high school decided to have their playoff games on the same field as part of a doubleheader starting at 10 a.m. I'm with Smallpotatoes, much easier to give your all to one game instead of making yourself cross-eyed trying to kill two birds with one stone.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A prep baseball and softball game started within 15 minutes of each other during this season and the press box at the fields is so that you can look out either side and cover each game. The games finished around the same time, so I went down to the field, got the baseball quotes first and hustled over to get softball.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not the two at the same time Rumple is accustomed to.

10. Ask him if he's going to coach two games at the same time. I mean, they're both right there.

11. Glad I could maintain your faith in the board.

12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of stringing and sports information....

When I was at Bethune-Cookman, our softball team was beating Florida, but I had to leave to go to a soccer game for the News-Journal. As soon as we beat the Gators (God, I love saying that), the coach called me and I filed at halftime of the soccer game. Not a big deal.

I've done MEAC tournaments where I covered baseball and softball at the same time. Thank God for the automated scorebook.

I've learned you can be late for everything but football and pull it off...

Draft saved Draft deleted