1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even with Salary Cap, one Reason why Baseball/Basketball >> NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jan 6, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10251224/desean-jackson-philadelphia-eagles-says-deserves-raise

Jackson mopes and signs the deal less than two years ago and now complains again.

Why whine again? You want an out after 2 years? Then negotiate a reopener (of course probably screw up the allocation of bonus for cap purposes). Then again, if it was an under the table handshake, then I retract this.

Correction on title to convey my intended view.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Salary Cap Aside, one Reason why Baseball/Basketball >> NFL

So what you're saying is you like the salary cap and aren't entirely sure what this deal entails, but it sucks anyway.

Excellent thread.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Salary Cap Aside, one Reason why Baseball/Basketball >> NFL

I don't have a problem with football players renegotiating because their contracts don't mean shit.

Baseball, basketball, hockey, all contracts are guaranteed. In football, where the career expectancy is considerably shorter than the other leagues, you get what you can get when you can, because you're one knee injury from being kicked out the door.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I understand this, just repeated renegotiations, over and over.

Sucks how guys most vulnerable, playing for the richest game, are the farthest from guaranteed contracts. Poor labor leaders/negotiators? Or weak players (see 1987 strike breakers; I'm looking at you Joe Cool)? Just shows how great Marvin Miller really was.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That they are the most vulnerable pro athletes there are is precisely the reason why their contracts are not guaranteed.

6. LongTimeListener

qt, what the fuck is your point?

You started the thread bitching about Jackson wanting to reopen his contract.

Now you are bitching about how vulnerable he is.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

[​IMG]

strongly agrees

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Who died and made you the omnipotent content manager?

Self-appointed regulator or the marketplace of ideas? May I post now?

Read closely, whining in NFL > whining in other sports; I dislike whining.

Sucks for players that more likely hurt, less likely to get guaranteed money.

Did not say has to be connected.

BTW, just don't read my posts.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If the players association felt so strongly about guaranteed contracts, why didn't they make that a major point in the CBA negotiations?

Because of the nature of the sport, I think football teams see more players as interchangeable. There are, of course, a few exceptions, usually the skill positions and a stud pass rusher or shutdown corner. But if your left guard goes down, it affects the team, but teams seem to view them as more replaceable. Of course, football has the largest rosters of any of the team sports.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As for renegotiating contracts, ironic how a player wants a raise after having a good year, but never wants to take a cut after a poor year or injury.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, these DeSean quotes are inflamatory:

"I definitely feel it's something deserving," Jackson said Monday, two days after the Eagles' season ended with a 26-24 playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints. "We'll see how that plays out.

"Hopefully, we can work things out smoothly and not have to worry about anything out of the ordinary."

"I'm proven in this league," Jackson said. "After this past year, I went out there, no distractions, and just really put it all in for my team and went out there and had a lot of success, so we'll see how it goes."

"Honestly, I feel very confident that my agent will work something out," Jackson said. "I feel like I have a great agent -- that's what he's for, that's what his job is.

"All I have to really worry about is staying out of trouble and keeping my nose clean and doing the things I need to do, working on my craft and playing football."

------------------------

Yeah, there's been one NFL player under contract talking about his contract (that I know of) this year. But hey, the MLB and NBA must be better because of those quotes above. Never mind we have to put up with the trade-while-under-contract bullshit, or "where is he going in two years?" continually from the likes of Carmelo.

To say nothing of the piss poor on the field product of the NBA or MLB (compared to the NFL). Since Desean talked about his contract, the league sucks.

12. LongTimeListener

Players frequently take pay cuts, or get cut. Probably more than a hundred a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted