1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even USA Today is not immune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 15, 2007.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

USA Today seems to have a massive staff, much of it not based at the Virginia headquarters.

There are full-time USA Today reporters all over the country. There are also Gannett newspapers all over the country, many of whose reporters would probably love to have their content picked up by USA Today. (Does Gannett News Service still exist? That's even more reporters and editors!)

Perhaps USA Today will make more and better use of all those local papers at the expense of staff in the central newsroom. I don't know if that necessarily counts as cutting fat as much as actually taking advantage of resources that already exist.

I have sympathy for those being offered buyouts, but this might be a stellar opportunity to take the Gannett $$$ and run!

2. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

How many people on their newsroom staff?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This sounds like Gannett's classic buyout -- age plus experience equals $$$ to leave.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If there's an operation with tons of fat, it's gotta be that one. Not that I want anyone to lose a job, but USAT will manage a lot better than others. The last I knew, they were content-editor-heavy.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Gannett is positioning itself to be sold.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted