1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even USA Today is not immune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

45 cuts in the newsroom

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=12962

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

At least it's being done in the form of buyouts and not layoffs.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For now.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That stinks.

The parameters are interesting. Let's say you have 15 years of experience and 8 years of online experience. Does that mean you don't qualify? What's the message here?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Get lost," I think. ::)

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Once the names start to emerge, some of us may have thoughts on whether this could represent a bit of addition-by-subtraction. Or, as I fear, they'll cut meat and bone and leave the fat intact.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I guess I meant is Gannett saying, "If you've been around awhile and didn't take steps to board the online bus until 5 years ago.... see ya."

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is pretty damn troubling, given that paper's circulation figures and its relatively successful Web site. Either journalists again are paying a stiff price for some bad business decisions that go well beyond staffing, or (I suspect) this whole buyout/layoff craze is just too enticing for even the financially sound papers to pass up.

So much of what gets done in this business is copycat stuff. Lately, it's "hyperlocal" and "buyouts/layoffs". The money boys decide they want a second helping of dessert, so they whack a few dozen jobs.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter how high the circulation of your newspaper is or how neat your web site looks if nobody wants to buy advertising in either one.

We're constantly talking about creative ways to improve the product, when what we need is creative ways to improve the advertising.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Either that or convince the suits that maybe making only 20 percent profit is still better than losing 39 billion at General Motors.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only makes sense with some Gannett papers shrinking the paper even further.

Coming soon: USA Today...the postage stamp-sized edition.

12. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

They won't have any shortage of eligible buyout candidates. A friend said there are 43 in the sports department alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted