1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

[​IMG]

and your old boss:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hilarious

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YF on Benghazi is a finalist, too.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He comes across as an asshole, but David Carr never got there in this profile:

But all the legendary bad behavior cannot obscure an objective fact: Harvey Weinstein is a cultural good. Pulp Fiction, Sex, Lies, and Videotape, and Shakespeare in Love have all become a part of the national narrative, framing the way people dance, talk, and fight. More people see more good films because Harvey and his brother Bob left Buffalo to taste-make for the snootiest moviegoers on the planet.
    As the keeper of star-making machinery, Weinstein has re-engineered the media process so that he lives beyond its downsides. His other assets—a book-publishing company and a working knowledge of the frailties of most reporters—mean that when Weinstein acts like a numbskull at Cannes, he gets a pass.

A. J. Benza, who held Weinstein harmless when he was a gossip at the Daily News, has a book on Talk-Miramax that will become a movie. Liz Smith calls him the Irving Thalberg of our age, and Weinstein reciprocates by giving her a steady taste of star quotage. Rush and Molloy can't blurb one of his actors without mentioning how "critically acclaimed" his last project was.

"He owns you guys, all of you," bitches one West Coast film executive. "All media is controlled out of New York, and he is the king. He has the kind of Teflon none of us can understand."
    His loyalty prompts reciprocation. When Talk magazine launched, pal Gwyneth Paltrow ended up posing in S&M garb that didn't fit either her career arc or any of her personal needs. Paltrow says that "there were certain favors that he asked me to do that I felt were not exploitive but not necessarily as great for me as they were for him. I brought this to his attention, and he said, 'I will never do that again.' And he's been true to his word.

"I think that for every bad story you hear about Harvey, there are three great ones," says Paltrow. "People are complicated, and nobody's all good or all bad. And I think Harvey is a prime example of somebody who has a temper and is also incredibly loving . . . He's a human being, and all of his acts can be just sort of magnified. He's larger-than-life in every way, so his good qualities are maybe more pronounced—as are some of his bad qualities."

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/features/5460/#print

5. YankeeFan

I think you missed the point.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that people tried. I do doubt that their outlets' legal teams were wild about the attempt.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A Hollywood big shot is a gross sexist pig? Color me shocked. Fatty Arbuckle and Errol Flynn are shocked, too.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There are reports he is taking a leave of absence

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was hacked. :)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nor the publisher and ad department...

I'd enjoy hearing Nikki Finke's thoughts on this...

11. YankeeFan

Trump's lawyer, Weinstein's lawyer...

Cy Vance was open for business.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fucking Manhattan DA, man. He's like a Grisham villain. Just grease the slush fund baby, and this all goes away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.