1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: I can appreciate that, in their positions of generally getting what they want, men like Thrush and Rose believed they were pursuing, as Rose said "shared feelings." They weren't, and they were deluded and wrong, but can I believe they might have been deluded? Sure.

Men are horrible at reading women. we often don't know when they feel compromised or put upon or emotionally violated because they don't say, or there are competing emotions, or whatever it is. Which is why the standard for men - the standard men hold themselves to - shouldn't be consent, or perception of "shared feelings" or whatever. It has to be higher and smarter than that.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You know, it used to be that a guy who asked something like "Is it ok to kiss you?" would be considered a wuss. A man was supposed to know, to read the signs and go for it. Sometimes maybe you were wrong and she turned a cheek, but that was the deal. Anymore, talking clearly about consent first is probably somewhere between considerate and wise.

I read all this stuff and I'm to the point that if there's a woman in the office I'd feel safer asking "Hey, we get these kinda flirty innuendo exchanges going sometimes. Are you ok with that or am I going over the line?". Shit, I might feel safer asking it and keeping a recording of the answer. (Joking. Kinda. About the recording part).

Glad I'm married... but I work with nurses, and the shit that gets talked sometimes, even if there is absolutely no intent whatsoever... I wouldn't want to have to explain it to HR.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I could imagine it a little in law now. I’m surprised still at my smaller shop to hear people talk about their dieting, dating, etc. You never heard that stuff at the corporate behemoth firm. It was coldly professional. A lot about what huge assholes people were. But nothing sexual.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Air F**k One ... sorry gang, I laughed.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I knew it! There's an SJ conspiracy to not encourage me.

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for all of you anyway.

Shitheads.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Up until about five weeks ago, I suspect this remained true.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is quite true. I can remember being chewed out for politely asking, and lectured on how women hate when men ask, and real men just know and go for it assertively.

Not sure how that script applies today. No doubt just going for it still works great IF you read the signals right, but boy, you're treading in a mighty risky minefield if you mistakenly misread.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Context has to matter, still.

You are on a first date and try to kiss a woman because you misread the signals. ... that is one thing. That becomes an issue if you then don't take no for an answer.

You make a move on a coworker or someone who works for you. Totally other thing.

Or you cop a feel during a group photo with someone you don't know well. Just not on the same plane.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I received one of those lectures, too, from a woman I asked.

Yet I still asked the next time I wanted to kiss a woman. That particular relationship didn't last long, but I can still remember the way she voiced her agreement and the fun that followed.

Ragu, I'm not sure you are right about that. I think misread signals on a first date could lead to real trouble now. Or perhaps a situation that it isn't quite clear that it is a date. Maybe one or both people want it to be one, but it wasn't made 100 percent clear.

Of course, I say this as a man who has been on exactly one date with a woman other than my wife since the day I met her in 1995. (I had already planned a date with another woman the following day, but I knew five minutes in I was only interested in my future wife, so that date went nowhere.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Always reminds me of a lyric in the 3 Times Dope song Funky Dividends ...

It's a shame. Nowadays you've got to stay paid
    It ain't like the old days, when you could serenade
    Take walks with your girl at night in the park
    And in the shadow, secretly steal her heart

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.