1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even the Rapture Righties are jumping ship now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-warming19oct19,1,4641926.story?coll=la-news-politics-national&track=crosspromo

Only question now is how many seats will Dems gain in the Bible Belt.

Doggone shame this ain't 2008.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'm still enjoying the fact that Fred Phelps has said that he doesn't align with Bush.

3. Dream on, boys, dream on.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

On the day after the election they're going to be like little kids on Christmas morning who run downstairs and find nothing under the tree. And then they'll wonder how they lost an election where they had nothing to offer themselves and were running against two guys who weren't even on the ballot (Bush and Foley).

For now, they're just hoping no one notices the record Dow, the record revenues flowing into the Treasury and the record-low unemployment.

I'd be a lot happier if the GOP were touting these things better, but when the MSM doesn't want it known, it doesn't get known.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Can anybody point me to polling that shows there's going to be a huge swing in Congress? (If somebody does and I'm wrong with the rest of my post, I'll just come back and delete it all :) ) And I don't mean "Everybody in the nation's pissed at Congress" stuff, but district-by-district stuff. Everybody's always pissed at Congress. All politics are local, and I think that unless you're directly tarred by the Foley stuff, it's not going to affect you that much. The Iraq brush I figure will only slap the presidential candidate. Congressmen will get the vote based on their pork production more than such national issues.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually as Paul Krugman pointed out, it would take a huge swing for the Dems to get Congress back.
    He did the math, and the way the vast majority of the districts are put together, it keeps them either Republican or Democrat.
    Very, very few are in a race that is truly up in the air.
    The Democrats could -- again -- win the majority of the popular vote overall in the congressional races and still not have the majority.

7. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Here's one example, but there are others:

http://www.mydd.com/images/user/217/House_Forecast_2006.htm

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yes, it's the media's fault. Because the record Dow (smoke and mirrors), record revenues (horseshit that's already been explained to you by another REPUBLICAN on this board) and record-low unemployment (welcome to McDonalds, would you like fried with that) are much bigger stories than a page-groping Congressman and cover up, three different voting scandals and the mass departure of conservatives from the self-described conservative party.

And all of that still pales in comparison to a bullshit war and a list of crimes that are, quite simply, embarrassing.

Yeah, the media's missing real the story here. ::)

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I started a part of that response that was going to predict the liberals' response denying the Dow success and the record revenues and noting you'd call all the jobs "burger-flipping" jobs. I took it out just to see how long you'd do that on your own.

An hour and 29 minutes. Not bad. I think the over/under was 1:45. I gotta hand it to you, you are predictable. Dumb, but predictable.

Foley's not on the ballot. Neither is Bush. Americans will eventually vote their pocketbook and security. The Democrats are out to sea on both. Conservatives will not cast votes to put Reid and Pelosi in charge. Nor, in the end, will they fail to vote and leave Pelosi and Reid in charge, no matter how hard you wish.

Question for you, dog: Why are Pelosi and Howard Dean being kept as far away as possible from cameras in these weeks leading up to the election? Could it be the Dem strategists don't want them to be seen for what they are?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

For the same reason Putsch was momentarily kept on a tight leash by his regents -- to the point where he asked if he could take a leak, for God's sake.

11. Vote their security?
    Is that the 58 percent of the people who trust Democratic ideas on security these days, or is it someone from somewhere else?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would think so, and I consider myself a Dem... if they speak in public, those usual Republican voters who are leaning Democratic will remember why they were Republicans in the first place...

Draft saved Draft deleted